• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted / Mediterranean Flycatcher Mozambique (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

I guess we don't expect Mediterranean Flycatcher in Mozambique, but as this one is little streaked on breast, I wish to read some comments about it.

I'm sorting old photos I never had time to do... this is from 12th Dec 2011, on Ibo Island, Mozambique.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Muscicapa_moz1.JPG
    Muscicapa_moz1.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 69
Very interesting Valéry. My opinion, fwiw: this bird is actively moulting. From my experience this is a not very straightforward species to age even in the hand, with adults a bit more sunbleached than 1st W. Body moult seems to have almost just started, with about 8 (?) new breast feathers visible in the pic (those that contain striations, or dark shaft markings). Those new feathers have well marked dark centers and it is to be expected that the old breast and flank feathers, now showing faint dark centers will be replaced by similar new feathers, with nice dark centers, which will give the bird a typical Spotted Fly appearance. The pale breasted appearance is, imho, just the result of sunbleaching, which by mid December must be at its maximum (which will be exacerbated if this is an adult, as the plumage is older). I'd say Spotted Flycatcher, but happy to learn. It's always interesting to revisit species we know from Europe in a different context.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back