• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos in Late August (1 Viewer)

Pluvius

The only time I can get summer holidays is late August. I have two teens and a wife all non birders. Would I get to see a reasonable amount and variety of birds if I visited Lesvos as well as keeping rest of family entertained with swimming etc
Thanks

Pluvius said:
The only time I can get summer holidays is late August. I have two teens and a wife all non birders. Would I get to see a reasonable amount and variety of birds if I visited Lesvos as well as keeping rest of family entertained with swimming etc
Thanks

Don't despair, though not as good as april/may a visit in late august still has a lot to offer a Northern European birder. I managed 102 species on a early/mid-august family holiday at Lesvos in 2003 with a non-birding wife & 2 kids ( 7 & 11 at the time).

I would suggest 2 provisos:

1) Try to get accommodation in Skala Kalloni
2) Hire a vehicle for at least 1 week if going on a 2 week trip.
This map shows the island (Skala Kalloni is adjacent to Kalloni) : www.lesvos.com/map.html
A hotel such as Kalloni II (in S.K.) has a good pool, is very handy for the beach & only a short walk from the village -which has a number of excellent restaurants.
The various coastal villages such as Sigri, Vatera & especially Skala Sikaminias are all well worth a visit as is Skala Eressos which being the spiritual home of lesbianism may yield some very peculiar bird sightings!!

In late august the buntings will probably all have departed & it will be very difficult to track down Masked Shrike. However anywhere with standing water should yield good birds. If the inland lake at the foot of the Potamia valley still holds water then some good waders such as Temmincks Stint, Wood & Broad-billed Sandpiper are likely. The East river may also still hold some stagnant freshwater pools which can pull in good stuff & of course the Kalloni saltpans will attract large numbers of quality passage waders along with good numbers of Gt. Flamingo, Great White Egrets, etc. There should also still be a few Black Storks about though the White Storks get a bit scarce after early august.

In late august I would expect some good passage waders such as those listed above as well as Stilts, Avocets, Kentish & Little Ringed Plover. Returning passerines will include various Yellow Wagtail races; Woodchat, Red-backed & Lesser Grey Shrikes; various warblers (Cetti's, Gt Reed, Olivaceous will be easy but Olive-tree & Ruppell's will be a real struggle); Rufous Bush Chat, etc.
Bee-eaters should still be about as will Hoopoes & possibly the odd passage Roller. Resident species such as Blue Rock Thrush, Rock Nuthatch, Middle spotted Woodpecker, Short-toed Treecreeper, Sombre tit, Crested Lark & Cirl Bunting should also be evident though you may need a bit of luck to find a family party of Kruper's Nuthatch in late august.
Raptors will still be very much in evidence with Short-toed Eagle & Long-legged Buzzard both common around Skala Kalloni. The north of the island between Anaxos & Sigri has cultivated areas which are irrigated in august > this draws in migrant passerines & large insects which in turn attract a few Lesser Kestrels & Eleonora's Falcon. Lanner are scarce but present & if you put a bit of time in around the saltpans you may eventually see one.

If you decide to go with it & want more info please feel free to get in touch.

I found Lesvos in august to have plenty of stuff of interest & though the range & numbers don't match the spring migration through the island you will have the birding to yourself. There are also lots of photo-opportunities especially from the window of a car. I would rise at first light, bird the East River/saltpans or Potamia valley & return for a late breakfast before spending the day with the family. If time allowed a short afternoon trip back to the saltpans usually provided some new interest from that seen in the mornings.

Pluvius said:
Thanks

I can only agree absolutely with everything Steve says. We've been in early September and had loads of birds - not as much water around of course. When I first saw the Inland Lake in Spring after seeing it twice in September I was amazed how big it was when full. And the weather will be good for your family to enjoy too.

Sandra

I had a brilliant time there in late August, early September 1997. I have a trip report on my website that might help. http://www.coventrybirder.co.uk/main pages/Lesvos.htm

If you can base yourself at Skalla Kalloni that would be perfect as it is central to everywhere plus the water is very safe and shallow there, perfect for the kids. The local bread (baked in a small hut at the side of the square) is to die for and the restaurants there serve up some fabulous food.

It's been ten years since I went there (going back this May) and it was one of the most memorable holidays I had.

John

I'd have to disagree with others I'd stay at Molivos - although a car is essential here. While SK is the in place to stay in Spring I found it very dry in late August and not particularly good for birding. If you'r' on a family trip Molivos is a much more beautiful village, infact it is stunningly beautiful with lots of good restaurants. I can think of few more romantic places on earth. The nearby Petra reservoir has the advantage of never drying up.

I presume Steve is talking about cinerous bunting when he says the buntings will have gone Cretzschmar's was common and I also black-headed and cirl at Petra reservoir as well as masked shrike. The area between Molivos and Petra town was good for olivaceous and ruppell's warblers as well as middle spotted woodpecker. I saw Kruper's nuthatch at Agiasos - at site that had gone out of favour .

I'd imagine all hotels have a pool, there is reasonable snorkling near Molivos. Beaches wonderful - but off the main beaches you do need to be fairly broad-minded as swimming costumes are definately seen as optional.

Steve

I was in Lesvos with my non-birding family last August and couldn't recommend it more highly and am going back this year in July. I posted a trip report here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=67565&highlight=lesvos

but in short - get Richard Brooks's book, rent a bike and go out early mornings and late afternoons. Molivos, on the other hand, I found to be full of tourists and empty of birds - well worth avoiding! Whatever - have a good time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back