• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Helmet (1 Viewer)

I have found when wearing a baseball type of hat with a hard bill, one can use the bill to help steady the binocular. But this contraption is too much. However, if you want to draw attention to yourself, this will do it. John

I like the idea it has a counterweight. I have used an umbrella over my shoulder while gripping my bins and the end of the umbrella for effective longer term shake-less viewing.

That is hilarious. If I saw somebody wearing one I would have an irresistible urge to creep up behind them and then speak to them. Watching them fumble about to remove the contraption to see who was talking would provide endless entertainment. ;)

Ron

Last edited:
I have found when wearing a baseball type of hat with a hard bill, one can use the bill to help steady the binocular. But this contraption is too much. However, if you want to draw attention to yourself, this will do it. John

I used this method today at lunchtime while standing in a field looking for hawks and turkey vultures. Initially, I stuck the 8x32 SE under my Yankee cap to keep my hat from getting blown away like the Yankees got blown away in the ALCS. :-(

Only saw one turkey vulture in an otherwise usually good location for hawk and vulture watches, and he zoomed past me fast, pushed by a strong tailwind.

I've used the hat brim/bin combo before for stargazing, but today it came in handy for birdwatching with strong winds. I got a nice view of the "rusting" foliage on Mt. Nittany.

But I'm sure the brim/bin methold has it limits. For example, if I had a 10x42 SE instead, I'd probably be seeing shaky images with the strong wind.

Having neck problems, I will pass on the bino hat, but I give the guy credit for inventiveness and entrepreneurship.

Brock

But I'm sure the brim/bin methold has it limits. For example, if I had a 10x42 SE instead, I'd probably be seeing shaky images with the strong wind.
Brock

Been using this method for a while now w/ my 10x42 SE's and I've got to admit it's still better than not. No breakfast, lots of coffee and a few mile hike up the mountain to the hawk tower and, SURE, you'll get some shakes but grabbing the bill of you're cap is still pretty effective.
This time next week and I'll be able to comment on this method w/ some new 8x32 SE's. (Had to brag there a bit, sorry) :-O

Thank you Binoboy, you have made my weekend.
I laughed so much that my ribs are killing me.

I really really want to see some in the field. I'll probably lose it completely if I do.

Brilliant.

At last! A practical way to steady high power bins! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220688845978&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Focusing could be awkward. Looking down at a bird could be a problem too. I suppose you pull the binoculars out before trying to walk.

Finally - a way to use the 20x80's for birdwatching. :-O

The 3 pound counterweight at the back and binoculars attached to the front means you don't walk far without taking the helmet assembly off.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back