• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helios AM-6+/bins under £300 (1 Viewer)

RDH

Hi all.

Just getting back into birding after around a 10 year break and am looking for a decent pair of bins below £300.

Have tried a few today, the vikings and RSPB range, also tried a pair of helios-AM-6+ 8x42 which I really liked, and at £225 seem good value.

Wondered if anyone had any experience of these bins?, I have never heard of them so did not want to part with my cash before a little research.

could anyone suggest any other makes I should look at- new or used.

Any help/advice apprciated.

Hi RDH,

I don't know the Helios AM-6 but another in that price range that comes to mind is the Opticron Verano 8x32 & 8x42.

Two very highly rated ones are: Opticron BGA SE 8x32 & 8x42 and Hawke Frontier ED 8x36 & 8x43. The BGSEs usually cost over £300 but I have seen them for just under £300 in the past so you probably could too, with a bit of searching.

Also have a look at Vortex binoculars. They have some very well regarded models.

There are plenty more to consider, I'm sure, but there's a few to start with.

If you go down the second-hand route, you'll get much better optics for the same money.
As you're not new to birding you probably know already, but don't forget that it's always best to try before you buy. Are there any good shops near you? Or some sellers have field days where you can try stuff out on a reserve.

Happy hunting
Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin. Will have a look at the models you have mentioned, have just been to a local RSPB reserve and a small shop neaby (where I tried the helios). Think I will have to get to a demonstration day at a reserve somewhere.

I liked the helios better than the rspb/viking range in a similar price bracket, just concerned about their durability

I have always used Zeiss bins and loved an old pair of 10x40 dialyt I had; so will also keep a look out for a secondhand pair on ebay.

Thanks again

Rich

Last edited:
I think the Helios bins are Japanese made, unlike many of the cheaper ones, which are made in China. They are sold by several reputable dealers in the UK. I wouldn't imagine there should be any problems with durability, although I can't see how long the warranty is.

Looking at the specs, the only thing against them is that the field of view is a little narrow and there is no mention of eye relief, which could be an issue if you wear glasses. However, if you have tried them and like them, the sound like a good buy at the price.

Ron

Thanks for the reply Ron

Bought a pair of 10x40 Zeiss Dialyt BGAT*, found them online for a real good price, hopefully they will be ok, just need a case and a strap for them. Had a pair of these for years and always regretted selling them.

Thanks again

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back