• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anna's Hummingbirds ~ antics new to me (1 Viewer)

julieah3

Hello fellow bird watchers,

The Anna's Hummingbirds that have shown up this year here in Oregon are so wildly aggressive I couldn't resist posting even though I lack the photo equipment, photography skills and even writing skills to adequately share.

I've had 3 different males, in turn, claim ownership of one feeder. After awhile they seem to let go and perch elsewhere for longer periods. The females immediately fly in and act almost as territorial as the males. I know they compete at the other feeder but they really put on a show just outside my front window. Lots of speedy, streaking dive-bombing in the front yard too.

Yesterday 2 females who seemed to be working together, swooped in on "Gazoo" while on his feeder, each zipping to different sides and seemed to surprise him so much they "blew" him off the feeder.

They all end up sharing if only reluctantly. I've been so absorbed watching them my other life duties are getting neglected.

Loving this website!

julieah

Julieah, sounds just like the hummers we have down here. So territorial they make you think that "hummingbirdicide" could happen at any time.

Lisa,

Ditto. These guys worried me at first but the more I read the more I realize the territorial aggression is normal for them.

The 2 females I suggested might be working together were probably "fly fighting" to compete for the feeder and inadvertently blew Gazoo off his spot. ;-)

Now to try and get another photo or two. Very challenging! The photos in the gallery are incredible!

Yes, they can be very challenging to photo. But that is half the fun.

Hi juieah,

It is indeed very normal for hummingbirds to be incredibly aggressive. They can, and do, fight to the death on occasion. Grizzly stuff! It does make them the most fascinating birds in the world, though.

Keep watching... the chores can wait!

Please forgive me if I ask dumb questions, I am new to watching hummingbirds and you all seem so knowledgeable, and your pictures are amazing. I had 5 feeders hung around my house. I recently hung 10 more, but they are all in a line on my deck pretty close together. They are definitely drawing a lot more hummingbirds, I'm seeing 3 or 4 all at the same time, which is what I had hoped to do. And there are a lot more birds in the area. But I did not realize it would create a struggle for territory among them. I looked on the Hummingbird websites and they describe what I'm seeing as mating behavior. I've also seen photos of feeders with a dozen or more birds at it. So the dumb question is, is it ok to have a lot of feeders close together or would it be better to move them around?

As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with having bunches of feeders close together. If you're getting the hummer quantities you're hoping for, then that's good, right! :) I'm in Seattle as well, and 3-4 at all times is a very good number for here. The only downside to a large number of feeders is the maintenance. Of course, this time of year the hummers have many options as far as food goes, but you'll really find them to be loyal in the wintertime, when you're rotating the feeders to keep them from freezing. Or maybe duct-taping chemical hand-warmers to the bottoms of the feeders...
Jim

Thank you Jim. Yes, it is a big job cleaning and filling all my feeders, but it is worth it to have so many to watch. And I have several that winter in around here. I rotate the feeders when it freezes but the hand warmer idea is very interesting. I can't begin to put a finger on what exactly is so fascinating about them but they certainly keep my attention. It's very nice to have others that share my interest in them. It's nice to 'meet' you Jim. And it's very nice that you are also here in Seattle, maybe our experiences will be similar.

My First Male Anna's at my feeder.

Hi All,

New to this forum but posting mostly on the binocular forum. I'm new to feeding hummingbirds and just put out a HummerMagnet for a few days and I am loving watching our local Anna's hummingbirds here on the California coast just south of San Francisco.

Up until today, it was always a female we spotted fairly regularly.

To my delight, our first male showed up today and sat comfortably sipping for quite a while, turning his head towards us occasionally flashing that amazing metallic scarlet head/throat. Absolutely charmed! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back