• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon 8x30 FMTR-SX (1 Viewer)

Henry, Brock

Thanks for the info regarding Cambridgeworld, i think i remember them being mentioned on here before, apparently still advertising the Zeiss 7x45 Night-Owl !!!.

Why did Fujinon discontinue them, was only a relatively small number of them made ?...

I doubt that any of us would really have the specific reasons Fujinon discontinued the 8x30 or 6x30 porro. My guess is that declining sales partly tied to declining consumer interest in porro prisim glases.

Regarding Cambridgeworld they have a poor reputation that literally goes back decades. I've been involved in photography for close to 40 years and they had a reputation as a bait and switch operation back then too.

Last edited:
FWIW I bought a set of Fuji 7x50's from Cambridgeworld a few years back and it went without a hitch. Now that I think back on it, the Gentlemen there were very helpful, seemed somewhat knowledgeable and got me into a pair of the 7x's though I thought the 10x's were what I wanted. Maybe lower mag yielding higher twilight factor seems basic now but it wasn't then and they knew it.
Yes, the website needs updating but all it takes is a call to find out if they've got something out of the norm.

Results may vary...

Maybe lower mag yielding higher twilight factor seems basic now but it wasn't then and they knew it.

Not exactly correct. Twilight factor= sqr (mag x Objective diameter)

sqr (7x50) = 18.7
sqr (10x50) = 22.4

The exit pupil (objective dia. / mag), on the other hand, is 7.1mm for the 7x50 and 5mm for the 10x50.

I'll let you, et al, decide which is of greater value in weak light.

I should also point out, Yip, that the numbers for Twilight Factor have no absolute value (to my knowledge) and are meant for comparative use though I've never read on just how one is supposed to do that either.

Exit Pupil is, of course, an absolute value though there is far from a clear cut way to determine it's merit to any individual at any given time. Beaucoup variables here.

Sorry for the distraction, now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Not exactly correct. Twilight factor= sqr (mag x Objective diameter)

sqr (7x50) = 18.7
sqr (10x50) = 22.4

The exit pupil (objective dia. / mag), on the other hand, is 7.1mm for the 7x50 and 5mm for the 10x50.

I'll let you, et al, decide which is of greater value in weak light.

If you're middle aged and your entrance pupils can only open to 5 mm, then the 7x50's larger exit pupil holds no advantage.

Might it even be a disadvantage? Riddle me this: If the 7x50 acts as 7x35 for a middle aged fart with 5mm entrance pupils (magnification x entrance pupil size), wouldn't the 10x50 afford the advantage in light grasp, because the user could utilize the full aperture of the objectives?

I'm not sure, like Jethro Bodine, I never quite got the hang of ciphering.

Btw, who's this et al guy? I didn't see his post? :)

I have a 7x50 Fujinon and it is a fine, but complex binocular. Mine found out somehow that bad people on the forum were trying to reduce its personality to a single number, and it has become depressed. Take it easy, ok?
Ron

Should of got the 10x

Had planned on it but money becomes a factor. Still a huge Fuji fan though :t:.

Sorry for the misguided info there. Was mixing up "twilight factor" which I used to know was a number to throw around in advertising and just plan old brighter views.

Thanks for setting it straight.

I don't think you'll have any complaints in that department. The build quality exceeds military specifications. Everything is done right: eccentric ring collimation, grooved prisms, desiccant capsules. Fit and finish are as good as any binocular.

Ingle-
Don't know if you're still interested, I've got a pair of the Fuji's up for sale on A-Mart...

Hello MarTay

Thank you for the offer, i have my sights set on a SLC-HD though when the price is right.
You never know with me though, contrary is my middle name ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back