• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with recovery (1 Viewer)

intensive

Hello can you help me find a tool to boot and restore file on my laptop? I erased boot.ini and can boot now. the laptop hdd is internal, i cant extract it

Hi Intensive and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure there'll be someone along soon with some advice for you

D

intensive said:
Hello can you help me find a tool to boot and restore file on my laptop? I erased boot.ini and can boot now. the laptop hdd is internal, i cant extract it
have you got the windows xp cd. If so try this (if you don't you may be able to start the recovery console by pressing a function key (F12?) during start-up:

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD into the computer. Note: If you have a system recovery CD or restore CD these steps will likely not work for your computer.
2. Reboot the computer with the CD and press any key when prompted to press any key to boot from the CD.
3. Once in the Microsoft Setup menu press R to open the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to use; if you only have Windows XP on the computer you will only have one prompt.
5. Once prompted for the password enter the Admin password and press enter.
6. Once at the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild to start the rebuild process.
7. The rebuild process will step you through a number of steps depending upon how many operating systems you have on the computer and how the computer is setup. Below is a listing of the common steps you are likely going to encounter.

* Prompt for the identified versions of Windows installed. When you receive this prompt press Y if the bootcfg command properly identified each of the Windows operating systems installed on the computer. It is important to realize this command will only detect Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT installations.

* Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition".

* Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

8. Once you have completed all the available options in the rebuild and are back at the prompt type exit to reboot the computer.

Hi Intensive, Can you tell us what laptop? My kids have got Acers and I have had to restore them a few times and they don't come with XP cds so what you do is switch it on and while it is booting or trying to, hold down the Alt key and keep hitting F10 until it goes into recovery mode then just follow the instructions. You will lose stuff though because it goes back to factory settings.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back