• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl in the UK (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Over the last three days I have made the pilgrimage to North Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland. to see (and photograph) the immature male Snowy Owl.
The bird was showing extremely well and at one point I was within 30 feet of him, with nearly 200 images in the can, including some flight shots, I returned home very happy indeed.

Nigel

Attachments

• snowy149t5150.jpg
    snowy149t5150.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 590
Nigel:

Your pic is sharp and really shows the 'personality' of the bird, as do the other shots I've seen of yours. Snowy Owl is definitely a must-see bird for me, and I hope I get as intimate an encounter as you had. Wonderful work.

Steve in Houston

Definitely a journey that was worth making. Was it all planned before hand or did you go off finding your way (transport) as you went.

Amazing Shot Nigel as usual.

I would love to see this species in the wild but am unlikely to see this bird :-C .
I agree with jakobs i would love to see some more... :D please...

You do seem to like your Owls Nigel :) ?
Then who can blame you they are great birds and you certainly do them justice with your images. :t:

Thanks

Rich

Many thanks to all, there was no planning as such, just dropped everything and went.
I will post a few more later on my web-site, but at the moment I am trying to catch up with the the very mundane but so much more urgent Vat returns.
I do indeed love Owls this being one of my most favourite, so fantastic to see a wild one in such awesome condition and so close.............

That is one amazing photo! What a gorgeous bird. The closest I get to Snowies is the rescued ones at the owl sanctuary near me. Thanks for sharing it Nigel!

A truly amazing photo nigel, as all of your shots seem to be, just for the record and purely out of interest what camera, lenses etc do you use.

Dear Nigel,

A superb picture thank you for posting it.
With your blessing I will use it as wallpaper.

Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Nigel - Excellent picture!! The clarity is amazing and the fact that you were able to get so close is even more amazing.
Job well done.

Nigel

Thanks for sharing yet another great shot.

I seem to remember a rather nasty post recently asking what you ever did for this site, I think the answers at the top of this page.

Paul

I wonder if it would be possible to have an area of the gallery where members could post phot's in a large enough size to make them available for wallpaper on members PC's. We could limit the use to personal.

I, for one, love having bird related wallpapers to rotate on my machine?

Thoughts everyone?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back