• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski adapter (1 Viewer)

eric s

While looking at a ATS-80 HD, I discovered that the store also has the swarovski camera adapter. Not the one to put an SLR on the scope, but the one you would use with a small digicam like the CP4500.

We'll ignore the fact that I can't lay my hands on a 4500. But if I get one, what do I need to attach it to the scope beyond this adapter? Anything?

Eric

Hi Eric,
this adaptor is all you would need to attach a CP4500 to the scope. It's a wonderful piece of kit. Better than any of the other 'aftermarket' systems.

Eric,
I saw one today at www.eagleoptics.com but they're out of stock at present. It was priced at US$169. It also says:- Does NOT work with old model AT-80 and ST-80 Swarovski spotting scopes.
I have an AT-80 HD, bought a year ago, so I need to find out if that is classed as an old model. I shall be very annoyed if it is!

I'll be getting the new model, so I'm safe.

I don't see a good reason why the model would matter, as I would have expected it fits over the eye piece. I didn't think they redesigned the eye piece when they made the "S" version of the scopes. But what do I know, I'm not a swarovski scope designer!

The price for what I saw was $200. But I get a 10% discount, so it becomes reasonable.

Eric

As I understand it, Eric, they revised the eyepiece design fairly late in the life of the old model. That is, if you bought the old model maybe 6 or 12 months before the new model came out, then you already have the new style eyepiece. It's only oldr old models hat the Swarovski adaptor won't fit. But one of the veterans will correct me if I've got this wrong, I trust.

By the way, $200 US seems excessive. I paid about $AU250 including 10% GST, which is about US $140 or so, although that was as part of a package with the scope and a 20-60 zoom eyepiece. If I'd just bought the adaptor alone, I'd probably have paid about $270AU, which is roughly $150 US.

I was told that the Swarovski adapter will only work on the ATS series eyepieces. The new eyepieces are of a different physical size to the AT eyepieces.... however, don't take my word for it.

Tannin
Found this while searching for a better price on the adapter.

---------------------------------
Notes for Swarovski Digital Camera Adapter:

Includes 3 different sizes of adapter rings. Adapter rings included fit digital cameras with accessory lens thread mount sizes of 28mm, 37mm, and 43mm.

Does NOT work with old model AT-80 and ST-80 Swarovski spotting scopes.
---------------------------------
So it looks like you are right. I'm safe, as I'm buying the ATS-80HD, but good to know, as I have occasional access to an older AT-80HD

I wouldn't be surprised if the prices were a bit excessive. That is par with that store. They are in the heard of one of the richest towns of the country. I don't mind giving The Audubon Society a bit of money here and there, they put it to a good cause. But I watch out for when I'm being really gouged and go elsewhere.

I've found it on line for 170USD or so. So it doesn't like they are whacking me that badly (and many places don't have it in stock.)

Thanks for the price warning.

Eric

Reading your comments re the swar adaptor,do any of you find that the adaptor tends to lean to one side and rests agains't the side of the eyepiece not dead centre.I found that and changed to the eagle optics one which at times is easier to take on and off.
Christine.

Does anyone else have any hands-on experience of this adaptor? Better or worse than Eagle Eye or London Camera exchange versions?

Dogfish, See CJW's post higher up this thread. We originally bought a cheaper adaptor but got loads of vignetting and not a wonderful fit. Chris has been using the Swarovski one for some time now.

dogfish said:
Does anyone else have any hands-on experience of this adapter? Better or worse than Eagle Eye or London Camera exchange versions?

The LCE adapter certainly works and I'd say gives less vignetting than the Swaro adapter at low zoom ranges and is ideal for fixed eyepieces but needs to be loosened and raised so that the zoom eyepiece can be adjusted.

The Swaro has the advantage of one screw being loosened to adjust the zoom but has noticeably more vignetting at low camera/eyepiece zoom ranges which I suspect would be less pronounced with the wider 30x SW eyepiece which I don't yet have.

At half the price of the Swaro the LCE is well worth considering. I like them both for different reasons, though at present seem to be using the Swarovski more often.

I haven't used the EagleEye.

With Swaroski adapter does the eyepiece
rubber on the 20-60x new zoom have to be
removed as this is said to be an essential move in the eagle eye info.Have just ordered 4500 and unsure which adapter to get.I dont like idea of having to remove rubber but if have to is it easy enough to
re-fit and remove many times?

For what it is worth,I have just bought the LCE adaptor to use with the Swar angled scope .30w and 4500.No problems with vignetting,and you only need to use one screw to keep it in place.Yes I think you do need to remove the rubber eyecups,but I keep a spare 40w eyepiece to swap over to view through the scope when not digiscoping.Although having said that,I am so used to using the eyepiece without the eyecup I now find it strange viewing with the eye cup in place,so usually just leave on the one used for digi scoping

Can anyone confirm that the Swarovski adaptor can be used with both the new ATS 80 zoom and new ATS 80 wide-angled eyepieces? I've ordered an adaptor from southwest optics but their website is rather confusing on this point.

Dogfish,I am pretty certain ,yes.I have the new scope,and had three eyepieces.30w,40w and the 20-60 zoom,and yes they were all compatible with the swar adaptor.But I only use the 30w,and have sold the 20-60 zoom,but lots of people on here do use the zoom for digi scoping.Send CJW a pm as he uses the new Swar scope ,I think,and I do know he uses the Swar adaptor

Ortolan,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

The eye relief on the ATS zoom does need to be unscrewed in order to use the Swaro adapater and also the LCE adapter for that matter. I'd imagine that will be the case for using any digiscoping adapter as you need to get the camera lens as close as possible to the eyepiece lens in order to reduce vignetting. Like Christine I leave off the eye relief all of the time as I find viewing far easier without it for spectacle wearers.

Dogfish,

I am using the Swaro adapter with the ATS 20-60x zoom.

Many thanks for the helpful responses. I'll be digiscoping as soon as the weather improves. Not sure why I need good weather for it as I go birding in all conditions, including Dungeness in a hurricane the other Saturday,but I suppose I'm just a fair-weather digiscoper...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back