• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to Measure AFOV (?) (1 Viewer)

DanLegere

I was reading this old thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=146768

The AFOV is then: 2.tan^-1 (d1/2.d2).

And http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=260248
An alternative method is to mount the bin perpendicular to a wall with its eyepieces facing the wall. A laser (ideally green) is then shone through an objective and the extremities of its reach, left and right, are marked on the wall.

The AFOV is then 2.arctan D/2d, where D is the measured distance on the wall and d is the distance from the exit pupil to the wall.

John

I have been trying to figure out how to use the formula but dont think I'm doing it right. I put my binoculars on a tripod, with the eyepiece facing a wall. I measured 25" to the wall from the eyepiece glass. I then put a light through the objective, and got a 27.5" wide circle on the wall. Could you explain how would I enter Johns forumla in my calculator? My binoculars (Bushnell legacy 10x50 6.5') should be close to 65' AFOV.

150317_1915_2ee.jpg

I have also done another method, where you face the objectives to the wall, and look through one eyepiece, while looking at the wall with your other eye. You then mark on the wall where you see the edges of the field stop, and note the distance between them, and the distance from the wall to the eyepiece. In my case, it would be 25"D to the wall, and 30.5"W between the points on the wall.

The formula for this is AFOV = 2*Atan(W/2/D)= 62.7'

150317_1859e.jpg

But what I'd like to know is how to use the the formula for the light projection method.

Dan,
2.arctan D/2d

A very long time since I last did this stuff but I think this works. First do the bit in the brackets. (27.5/(2 x 25) = 0.55.
To get Arctan on the laptop's Scientific calculator click the Inv button followed by Tan which should give you 28.8 degrees.
2 x 28.8 = 57.6 degrees = AVOV if I've got it right.

David

Last edited:
I think how you enter ARCTAN (sometimes marked TAN-1) on a calculator depends on the model. Mine (old Texas Instruments TI-30Xa) requires punching a yellow button marked "2nd" and then punching the TAN button.

Plugging in your measurements of your Bushnell binocular to the formula yields an AFOV of 57.6º, however the measurement to the wall should be from the eye relief distance behind the eyepiece rather than the eyepiece glass. If the Bushnell eye relief spec of 18mm is subtracted from your 25" measurement that changes the AFOV to about 59º.

Edit: I see David posted first and gave you most of what you need except the subtraction of eye relief.

Last edited:
Dan,
2.arctan D/2d

A very long time since I last did this stuff but I think this works. First do the bit in the brackets. (27.5/(2 x 25) = 0.55.
To get Arctan on the laptop's Scientific calculator click the Inv button followed by Tan which should give you 28.8 degrees.
2 x 28.8 = 57.6 degrees = AVOV if I've got it right.

David

That might be right and I'm just measuring at the wrong points, but I dont think. Considering the AFOV should be closer to 65', and the eye method gives me 63'. I've done these with a few pairs of bins, and the light method (at least how i'm doing it) gives lower AFOV than expected for all of them, while the eye method is almost the same as the expect AFOV. So that's why I dont think this is how it's done.

Last edited:
Plugging in your measurements of your Bushnell binocular to the formula yields an AFOV of 57.6º, however the measurement to the wall should be from the eye relief distance behind the eyepiece rather than the eyepiece glass. If the Bushnell eye relief spec of 18mm is subtracted from your 25" measurement that changes the AFOV to about 59º.

Edit: I see David posted first and gave you most of what you need except the subtraction of eye relief.

Perhaps the eye relief needs to be taken into account, but that still yields smaller AFOV than what you would expect using the old "Mag x FOV = AFOV" formula. Hopefully John will see this thread, I really want to hear his explanation. There isnt a way to PM him. :(

The ISO method for calculating AFOV is only correct for a condition of zero rectilinear distortion. Pincushion distortion causes the AFOV to increase above the standard. Barrel distortion causes the AFOV to decrease below the standard.

I notice that Dan reported seeing barrel distortion causing a "fisheye" effect with this binocular on another thread. That would certainly result in an apparent field narrower than the ISO calculation, but genuine barrel distortion is rare in binoculars. A more likely condition would be one with almost zero rectilinear distortion. That causes the infamous 'rolling ball", which resembles a "fisheye" effect and might be what he is seeing. If that's the case 59º is about right for a 10x binocular with a 6.5º field. Of course it really hasn't been established that the magnification is exactly 10x or that the FOV is exactly 6.5º.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back