• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7 x 26 CC or Leopold Yosemite (1 Viewer)

birdazzLED

oops I mean Leupold.

I'm looking for a new compact or somewhat compact bins because i've taken up mountain biking and don't want to carry full size bins around my neck while riding.

Which of the two would give me a better view?

Thanks in advance.

Since I've owned both of them, albeit the version of the Bushnell just prior to the current one, I would opt for the Bushnell over the Yosemite if I was going to be riding around on a bicycle with a binocular. It is a true compact binocular being a 26mm reverse porro prism. Its FOV is smaller but very adequate at 360'@1000 yards. It also has much better optics IMO than the Yosemite has.

Bob

Hi BirdazzLED. Which yosemite are you considering? I've got a 6x30 yosemite and the current 7x26 custom. The custom might have a slightly finer image. My custom has a bit of flex in one of the objectives when focusing, and my overall impression is that this current version might be a little more fragile than the older versions. Is there any reason in particular why you wouldn't use the 6x25 custom that you already have? It's not what you asked, but I recently tried the Hawke 8x25 sapphire ED, and I personally prefer the view through it to both of the above (although it does have a smaller exit pupil).

OK, scratch off the list for Yosemite then.

My 6x25 is out of collimation. If I unscrew one of the objective lens, the bins become useful but the lens is hanging on with just a couple threads so it might fall off. If they aren't serviceable, maybe I should loctite the lens screwed out.

That Hawk uses two hinges which I don't like too much. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Sorry about the 6x25s. They should be serviceable if the only issue is collimation. If you wanted to try it yourself, you might want to get in touch with Optic_Nut who seems to have become pretty adept at working on old customs. You could still try the current 7x26 and see what you think for yourself. It can produce a very nice image. I don't really have a lot of recommendations for compacts, but I do know that many people seem to like the M7 8x30, which I believe is even a bit lighter than the yosemite (but more expensive). Good luck!

I'd agree with Peat that the Elite 7x26 has a sharper and more contrasty view than the Yosemite and the various clones I've tried. the Bushnell beats the hell out of the Hawke Sapphire ED on ergonomics but I'd have to admit the latter has has the bigger sweet spot, better colour and at least on the ones I compared, sharper, and of course it's waterproof too.

David

PS. The Monarch 7 8x30 is more expensive of course and at over 15 oz perhaps not ideal for a bike, but that's only an ounce or so heavier than the Bushnell and much better IMO.

Last edited:
There is also a Nikon 8x25 ProStaff ATB reverse Porro prism and Nikons new Pro Staff 7S 8x30. Both are inexpensive: $130.00 and $189.00. Check Nikon's USA website for specs. FOVs are under 350'@1000yards.

Bob

Another reason why i'm thinking of going compact porro is because there is a 3D effect - and what's being stated that porros are much better than roof prisms at a much lower price.

Are the 8x26 Legend Ultra HD Compact with ED glass not very good?

Last edited:
When it comes to '3D effect', it's just a matter of barrel seperation,
plus sharpness,
so big-Porros > Porros > roofs > reverse-Porros on that score.

The reverse is true as far as loosing alignment (image dividing)
as you get close-up. 8x40 Porros are going to give you eyestrain at ~60ft and closer,
8x32 roofs at ~30 ft, 8x25 reverse-Porros go down to ~15 ft before you feel the split.
8x21 reverse Porros? Some are no problem at 10ft. .... very little 3D effect, though.
The Papilio actually shifts in with focus to get even closer.

Anyway, the 6x30 Yosemites would have a much stronger 3D effect than the 7x26 Elites,
although they are bigger and can't get you 'up close'.

Last edited:
I'm now thinking about the Kenko 8x32DH MS for $179.00 rather than Bushnell 7 x 26 CC. Would this be a better choice than either of the others?

I am a little concerned over price because everywhere else they are around $320. Maybe the price is a mistake.

Coming in at a mere 8 ounces is the Alpen Wings ED 8x20. If you have plenty of light available and only view for short periods, you might want to consider them. The optics are really superb, in my opinion, given the limitations of such a small binocular. I don't like the placement of the focusser, and they aren't so comfortable to hold because they are so small.

Of course if you have the money, the Leica equivalent is supposed to be superb.
I don't know why Bushnell doesn't market a compact 6x, 7x, 8x Legend Ultra HD roof. They offer a 10x25mm which looks like the Alpen Wings ED, but nothing in lower magnifications.

Where do you see the Kenko 8x32DH MS for $179?

Last edited:
Another affordable compact is the Vortex Vanquish 8x26. Just $95 from Eagle Optics. 12 ounces, waterproof, fogproof. Not nearly the bino as some mentioned in this thread, but good, clear views. Reasonable FOV at 352'. Reverse porro, so not high on the 3D scale. But small, rugged, easy to use, easy to pack along, and cheap enough to not have to worry about.

I've used them a couple of times and found them fairly good.

I'm now thinking about the Kenko 8x32DH MS for $179.00 rather than Bushnell 7 x 26 CC. Would this be a better choice than either of the others?

I am a little concerned over price because everywhere else they are around $320. Maybe the price is a mistake.

The Kenko is certainly a super-compact 8x32.

What it gives up in length it goes gain slightly in weight and perhaps a replacement comfort strap would be useful when biking. However a little weight may help to counter the effects of hard exercise compared to an ultralight.

I'm quite happy using the Kenko DH MS 8x32 with the belt case as a grab 'n glass 'compact'. A steal at $179.00 if you can buy it for that.

Birdazz - all the above comments are sound. But mountain biking? And using binoculars, too? With a pulse of 120-140 beats per minute? Maybe not that high when you are resting, but what a challenge you have created for yourself finding a suitable binocular. I'm assuming you have a pouch or case securely fastened to your bike, since you don't want anything like even a Bushnell 7x26 flopping around your neck. Sure, you can wear a harness to prevent that, but then there is the sweat factor. Every mountain biker I've seen, crashing around is sweating profusely. I have some very young friends who mountain bike, and they all take nasty spills. Part of the fun I guess.

Seriously, you might want to consider something like the Zeiss 3x12 monocular. You can hang it around your neck, tuck it in your shirt, and you won't even know it's there until you need it. It only triples the image, but the field is very wide, and it is oh so sharp. Just a thought. Be kind to your body. It is the only one you will ever have.

John

Thanks for the replies.

The Kenko was an ebay ad that said they were new from Kenmore Camera. I have ordered it.

I don't always ride fast. Sometimes I like to sightsee in remote areas. I often ride with a heavy backpack and another case for Zenray 8x43 strapped on my side.

Looks like Kenmore Camera is selling off several Kenko binos on Ebay, at well below typical market price. Perhaps they are dropping the line. Good deals to be had.

Birdazz -
Just a thought. Be kind to your body. It is the only one you will ever have.

John

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

:t:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

:t:

It's easier to think this before you have worn your body out and realize you are left with 20 more years and a worn out body. The end Hunter chose is the result of the philosophy he chose.

Now, back to your regular scheduled program.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back