• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wader confirmation please (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi all,

At Oare marshes on sunday I spotted this guy having a snooze. I thought greenshank (as Robin will know!) but I'm a wader beginner so I looked it up at home. I still think greenshank but what bothered me slightly was the brown appearance. I'm assuming this means that this is a juvenile, but I'd appreciate a confirmation. Thanks in advance. Sorry about the pic quality, it was pretty windy and the bird was quite a way away.

Woody

Attachments

• grnshnk.JPG
    grnshnk.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 220
Hi Woody,
This is indeed a Greenshank,but a summer adult,with the plumage being a bit worn by now(as is typical for adult waders at this time of year).In most migrant waders,adults migrate south before juveniles,and certainly the majority of the waders that I've seen recently are adult birds(juvs limited to a Ringed Plover that was probably locally bred at the site at which I had it).A juvenile would be altogether more 'pristine',with fresh feathers(which is logical,as these have only just been attained,whereas adult birds will have been in breeding plumage for a few months).
Hope this helps?
Harry

Thanks chaps.

It's nice to know I got it mostly right!
In one of my books it does say that juveniles will have a 'neat' pattern but unless you actually see what the book's on about things like that are a bit vague. I'll try to start noting details like feather condition, another lesson learned!

Cheers
Woody

robinm said:
Glad it was a greenshank - didn't see it myself. How did your whimbrel photos come out?

Terrible!

BUT good enough for me to say I got one! Thanks for that Robin. Once you see these things for real it sure makes future ID easier.

Woody

Attachments

• whimbrel.jpg
    whimbrel.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 183
Sorry Mike that's the curlew that the whimbrel flew near to when it went over to the landing stage.

The first bird I indicated on the shoreline was a whimbrel - the shorter bill and obvious crown stripe confirm that.

Oh dear !

Dan drough said:
Isn't it early for Whimbrel to be heading south to Africa?
Yes it is, but there have been reports of whimbrel in several locations in Kent over the past few days. Whimbrel have been at Oare since about 5th July.

The first Whimbrels are heading south only a week or two after the last ones heading north - sometimes, they probably overlap, but it isn't easy to tell.

The last northbound will be birds going to breed in Arctic Russia (where the tundra doesn't thaw until mid June), while the first southbound will be failed breeders from southerly breeding populations (Shetland, Iceland, southern Scandinavia)

Then there's a few immature (one year old) non-breeding birds that will stop in Britain all summer, just to keep you on your toes . . . (most of the one-year old birds remain on the winter range in Africa though)

Michael

robinm said:
Sorry Mike that's the curlew that the whimbrel flew near to when it went over to the landing stage.

The first bird I indicated on the shoreline was a whimbrel - the shorter bill and obvious crown stripe confirm that.

Oh dear !
They must have done a swap behind the grass like magicians assistants!
I'll look closer next time...:h?:

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back