• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2017 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the fourth annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change your plans specially, Unless you were planning not to go birding, in which case please DO change your plans!

Last year's totals (thread here, links to previous years in the first post): USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.

2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.

We are staying in the city for New Year's Eve but I will do my best to add my two penn'orth from Bulgaria!

Chris

I'll be day-racing in Hampshire, weather permitting, 121 is the record and as always the target to beat, will endeavour to contribute at the end of it, beer permitting!!

Hmm....may be in , although if I get more than 6 here it is a good winter day! Erm....are you counting Canada as separate, or making it North America?!

Erm....are you counting Canada as separate, or making it North America?!
I don't think we've had any contributions from Canada in the past, so we've never really thought about this. I guess if we get a few Canadian lists then we'll have a Team Canada, otherwise it'll have to be part of a North America list.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested in joining in but not sure they'll be able to send a list on the day, we do always keep the lists open for a few days. As long as you saw or heard the bird on 1 Jan, it will still count.

:) I can have my own little Canada list if needs be, it is only likely to be 7 or 8 long anyway.....all of which will turn up on the US lists I'm sure!

I plan to be "out and about" here in Missouri, USA, on January 1st. January 2nd I will be covering my area around Lake Contrary, St. Joseph, Missouri, USA, for my contribution to our annual Christmas Bird Count. I will include my birds found, 2017, in this thread.
Good 2017 Birding to All.
Larrry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back