• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 8x32 (1 Viewer)

It appears to come from mostly needing to name divisions of optics companies that do both binoculars and spotting scopes. And then trying to give a succinct name to them leads to that rather bland title (that of course pleases no one).

I was complaining about "Sports Optics" before and I just noticed ...

Leica Sports Optic
ZEISS Sports Optics
Swarovski sports optics

Vortex sports optics
Bushnell sports optics

Nikon Sport Optics
PENTAX Sport Optics
Kowa Sporting Optics (or Sport Optics)

Meopta Sport optics (on the meopta.com)

Steiner Binoculars (they don't do Sport(s) Optics!).

Clealy a Mitteleuropa (and Wisconsin) thing with the plural "sports optics"

So there is some more variation than I thought (but Meopta aren't internally consistent) so I may have been a bit harsh but I do tend to type those things without the plural sports.

Since Swarovski calls it Sports Optics I believe it is now law and can't be changed. Even if you think it should be changed... too late.

Last edited:
I just assumed it referenced the fact that several of the current, primary binocular uses were "sports" in one sense of the term (birding, hunting, etc...).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back