• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on Meopta 10x42 Meostar (1 Viewer)

DHB

Been considering a second set of decent 10x to keep in truck.

Here are the ones.

Leupold HD 10x42 $600-650 new after rebate.
Leica Trinovid ~$750 used when you can find them.
Meopta ~$500 used when you can find them.

Thoughts??

Dave

So what is your first set? If it is an alpha glass, then you won't like the rest very much. I setteled for Chinese ED, two brands, for 10x.

You can get good deals on the Bushnell Legend ED 10x, google. Should last a couple of years in the truck.

So what is your first set? If it is an alpha glass, then you won't like the rest very much. I setteled for Chinese ED, two brands, for 10x.

I have to disagree with that. The 10x42 GR HD is 97% of the Swaro EL, and every bit as good (better in my comparisons) as the SLC and Trinovid. Some people believe the so called "alpha" stuff only starts with a L, S, or Z and costs $1500+. I'm not an expert but I've looked through lots of glass over 38 years of big game hunting. IMO you can get 95%+ of the alphas with a Bushnell Elite, Meopta, GR HD, Zen ED2, Pentax ED, Cabelas Euro, or a Nikon LX. You will not see anything through a Swarovision that you can't see through any one of these.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with that. The 10x42 GR HD is 97% of the Swaro EL, and every bit as good (better in my comparisons) as the SLC and Trinovid. Some people believe the so called "alpha" stuff only starts with a L, S, or Z and costs $1500+. I'm not an expert but I've looked through lots of glass over 38 years of big game hunting. IMO you can get 95%+ of the alphas with a Bushnell Elite, Meopta, GR HD, Zen ED2, Pentax ED, Cabelas Euro, or a Nikon LX. You will not see anything through a Swarovision that you can't see through any one of these.

I think this is spot on save for two minor points of disagreement: I was underwhelmed by the Bushnell Elite (although I still have and still like the gorgeous flat field of its Bausch & Lomb Elite predecessor), and I think the Leupold HD (mine is an 8 x 42) is astoundingly good and actually better than you give credit for.

I think you need a high end bino to get good optics and a good overall package. The Meopta may be very close, but I have not handled them. A couple of the Chinese ED come close. But I do not expect 20 years of service from them. People who bought alphas in the 90s never planend to buy another pair.

I have had all kinds of top of the midrange (cost) respectable brands, like Pentax and one Zeiss, but they still have minor mechanical weaknesses. Well, not the Zeiss, but it was built too strong. Not comfortable.

I can assure you, after spending time with the GR HD and Meopta specifically, they appear to built just as well as the Trinovid, and more durable than the EL. This is quite a compliment. If you could scrape the logo's off of the binos, and then look through them all, I don't believe people would be near as impressed with the Big 3 as they are when they can read the brand. I wholeheartedly agree with Chartwell.....the GR HD is astoundingly good....for $599 it is an unbelievable deal.

Anybody else (reputable) besides Cabelas have the Leupold at $699 before rebate? Cabelas wants to charge me 8% tax. No go.

Dave

Anybody else (reputable) besides Cabelas have the Leupold at $699 before rebate? Cabelas wants to charge me 8% tax. No go.

Dave

I bought my 8 x 42 GR HD from Binoculars.com which matched the Cabelas price but, thankfully, charged no tax. I see that Adorama (also highly reputable) is presently offering the binocular at $699 with free shipping and no tax outside of NY.

I wouldn't keep $500-$750 binoculars in my truck. Even if you have an alarm system, it can be defeated or ignored and stolen in a remote area.

If you had an SV EL or an Ultravid HD as your main birding/game spotting bin, I guess I could see keeping a $500 bin in your truck, but the 10x42 BA isn't that much more expensive to buy second hand than the bins you mentioned.

I would recommend a 10x42 Nikon Monarch to keep in the truck, and buy the Meopta as a back up to your Trinnie, so you can make it last longer.

Or if theft is a remote possibility where you live, keep the Trinnie in the truck and upgrade to a 10x42 Ultravid HD (Leica needs the sales, its sports division lost around $12 million last year!).

brock.....where did you see/hear about Leica SO's $$$ issues? I've heard it,but couldn't verify (no offense). As you know they've been bankrupt once already.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back