• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regal + DSLR (1 Viewer)

IvanCavallazzi

I am getting some problems to find a nice adapter.

My dslr is very lightweight(T3)... and so I probably won´t need things to re-balance the assembly or anything clumsy.

So... I want something similar to that swaro DCA adapter. Direct screw from 52mm or 58mm filter threads on the lenses against the 42mm threads of the eyepiece(it is the male opposite of the t-mount 42mm thread).

Anyone know a good adapter?

I found this one:
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/celestron_day_scopes/celestron_spotting_scopes_fs.htm (scroll down)
... and also a few similar ones... but all of them in the UK, none in USA.

Will the swaro DCA itself work?(anyway it is a bit too expensive)

Does anyone know of a direct screw adapter for Regal+DSLR selling in USA or International ?

Thanks in advance.

Try Eagle Optics or B and H for adapters.
Neil.

No luck yet.

More important, no other Regal user or even comment yet.

Right now I am between 3 options.

1) Adorama´s ring to make the filter of the 50mm lenses step down to the 42mm eyepiece. Direct screw $24 each ring.

2) Swaro DCA or Vortex DCA adapters... if they work with the regal eyepiece... $150 - $250 each.

3) Pentax DSLR adapter PF-CA35... this one cost around $350... without lenses.

The only one confirmed to work nice is actually pentax adapter + Kmount to EOS mount ring.

You really don't want to hang a dslr lens off the adapter/eyepiece by filter threads. Even if the camera is not "heavy" (~800g w/lens is still heavy IMO) the tork created when you swing the scope around will eventually damage the lens, especially if you have the drag on the video head tightened down. The cheaper short focal length lenses usually have plastic bayonet mounts too.

You really don't want to hang a dslr lens off the adapter/eyepiece by filter threads. Even if the camera is not "heavy" (~800g w/lens is still heavy IMO) the tork created when you swing the scope around will eventually damage the lens, especially if you have the drag on the video head tightened down. The cheaper short focal length lenses usually have plastic bayonet mounts too.

But that was exactly my plan.
The 50mm 1.8 weight nothing... the body also weight less than 500g.

The lenses costs less than $100... I thought it was the perfect setup to try that.

Your money. I have no idea what eyepiece you can use that will not vignette in this scenario anyway. Moreover, total effective focal length won't be more than 1000mm @ ~f11 so you are better off using an inexpensive 500m zoom like Sigma 150-500 + 1.4x TC.

Your money. I have no idea what eyepiece you can use that will not vignette in this scenario anyway. Moreover, total effective focal length won't be more than 1000mm @ ~f11 so you are better off using an inexpensive 500m zoom like Sigma 150-500 + 1.4x TC.

No.
We are talking here about a boby+ 50mm lenses + eyepiece + regal body.

If the eyepiece is set in 30x... that is a 1650 equivalent already.

Many of us here have already taken this course and learned our lessons. Just trying to save you the tuition my friend.

The highest eyepiece mag you can use in this scenario is ~20x or fl=~24mm. Assuming an 80mm scope you are now 1000mm @f12-ish TRUE. At this small aperture ratio, the image in viewfinder of a cropped sensor camera will already be dim and hard to focus. Moreover, at 1650mm TRUE you will be at ~f20, besides being even harder to focus you are well beyond the diffraction limit the pics will lose sharpness.

Anyway, like I said with a 50mm lens you will have vignetting due to insufficient eyepiece eyerelief. Best case is a ~28mm "pancake" lens with a ~fl=21mm wide angle, long eyerelief eyepiece. This gives 35mm EFFECTIVE of ~1000mm f8-ish telephoto lens.

Last edited:
So... in your opinion the only viable option would be the pentax adapter(no lenses) direct in the regal body?

It says f12.5 on the pentax scopes... the regal have a bit more travel inside... it will be a bit more, mag around 25x...

Since the adapter rings from adorama are inexpensive I ll probably buy them along with the pentax adapter.

I ll post results as soon as possible.

I just want something better than eyepiece projection...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back