• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High ISO samples (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

I did a high ISO comparison on my Nikon D3300 between Nikon's ViewNX2 RAW editor and Adobe Lightroom. ViewNX2 has no options to edit noise but it does do something to slightly smooth it out during the import although detail isn't affected. I find the software does such a good RAW conversion that I don't need to do any PP apart from importing the files and then exporting them at a size for posting on here.

I also imported these RAW files into Lightroom, turned off all noise removal and exported them straight out.

No PP has been done in either software, just a straight import and export to Photoshop, resize and saved using 'Save for web' with a compression ratio of 85%.

These are at ISO6400 and ISO12800, first two Nikon ViewNX2, second two Lightroom.

Paul.

Attachments

• ISO_6400.jpg
    ISO_6400.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 132
  • ISO_12800.jpg
    ISO_12800.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Lightroom_ISO6400.jpg
    Lightroom_ISO6400.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Lightroom_ISO12800.jpg
    Lightroom_ISO12800.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 130
Here's some 100% crops of the previous ISO6400 images. First is Nikon ViewNX2 with whatever noise removal it does by default. This can't be controlled in the software. Second image is Lightroom 100% crop with no noise removal. Third is Lightroom 100% crop with noise removal and fourth is the full resized image from Lighroom with noise removal. All info on the photos. For posting to the web the ViewNX2 does a good enough job but for anything further Lightroom has more control.

Paul.

Attachments

• Nikon_100.jpg
    Nikon_100.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Lightroom_100.jpg
    Lightroom_100.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Lightroom_100_2.jpg
    Lightroom_100_2.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Lightroom_ISO6400_2.jpg
    Lightroom_ISO6400_2.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 72
Finally the ISO12800 edited in Lightroom for noise removal. Even at this ISO the photo is very usable and would allow high mag in very low light. For an entry level dslr I think the D3300 does a very good job. This photo at ISO 12800 looks better than ISO 1600 on my old Canon 450D.

Paul.

Attachments

• Lightroom_ISO12800_2.jpg
    Lightroom_ISO12800_2.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 83
Finally the ISO12800 edited in Lightroom for noise removal. Even at this ISO the photo is very usable and would allow high mag in very low light. For an entry level dslr I think the D3300 does a very good job. This photo at ISO 12800 looks better than ISO 1600 on my old Canon 450D.

Paul.

This is normal. Technology is improving at a rapid pace...

I don't think sensor noise is a criteria to compare cameras like it was a few years ago. All decent crop sensor cameras are pretty well similar in that respect.

Paul,
What NR settings did you use in LR on the 6400 shot?
I agree, Nikon has done a very good job with the noise removal in NX2. It is not heavy handed, and you always have the choice to do more later if you have to. Still, I would opt for less noise removal at the expense of a tad of "grain" in order to lose less detail, which is why I would rather do it in LR to have the control. It is the chroma noise that looks so awful in the unprocessed LR shot. Get rid of that (25) and you shouldn't need more than 25 luminance NR if even that much.
Jules is right. The differences are very slight. I have done more testing, and the differences have more to do with usability than with the sensor as such. On the scope the Oly has a slight edge over the 7100 in sharpness. the Nik has a slight edge in DR, but the Oly is much nicer to use MOST of the time, bigger, brighter VF, easier to focus, less vibration.... It is only against the light or with moving subjects that the EVF flicker becomes a problem for me. 3300, 7100, E-M1....all brilliant cameras, no question! How spoiled we have become!;)B :)
Samples to follow.

On the ISO6400 shot the colour noise was gone with just a setting of 10 and any higher made no more difference. For the luminance, 30 was more than enough but to be honest, with the image resized to 1024 pixels wide you can get away with just doing the colour noise and leaving the luminance alone or having it much lower than I did.

Paul.

This is normal. Technology is improving at a rapid pace...
I agree with this, I have a 5D3 and it is clean as a whistle up to ISO 6400 and does not require any NR at all - ISO 12800 is also very usable but does require a little NR especially if cropping.

This is a photo taken on the Nikon D3300 using the H1 expansion setting which gives ISO 25600 equivalent.

Got some good shots of this little Wood Mouse and also a 30 second 1080 HD movie through the scope with a Teleplus 2X TC. This photo was also taken at 2X and is uncropped.

I edited this photo in Lightroom and only removed color noise and left luminance noise alone.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_2925-2.jpg
    DSC_2925-2.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 120
Take out just a little luminance noise but leave it a little "grainy", that is what I would do. Cute little bugger...
I made a plexiglass roof for our bird tray that lets light through. Helps a lot...
14194583282_28ea5a8eef_o.jpg
E-M1+ 75-300, 1/25 at 6.7, 300mm, hand held, 1600 ISO, through our double window. Lovely day....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back