• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyecup mod for 8x25 CL Mini's. (1 Viewer)

Nessus

As with so many other binoculars I have bought the Cl 8x25's and they have an amazing image quality but there was only one thing keeping them from perfection. The eyecup was a bit thin and pulled up a bit short so that I couldn't put them to my eyes without either holding them a bit away or leaning the tops against my eyesocket with the bottom of the oculars exposed to to stray light. I must have long eyelashes because this a common issue for me from many brands.

So I got some O rings that were just the right size for the top of the eyepiece.

http://imgur.com/QHR2UXg

Here's what they look like resting on the bins.

I then went around the top ring and O ring with some electrical tape.

http://imgur.com/4mjA00m

This is a proof of concept so the electrical tape isn't smooth. The eaisest thing would be to glue them on but I'm releuctant to do that no matter how good they work.

So I tried them out and BINGO! perfect. No fiddling, no trying to get on the image or changing your hold position as you move about. Now I have one nice black circle with the beautiful image right in the center looking better than ever and being easier to use than they ever were.

I'll leave them as is until I figure out my final move. I need to go out with them and see if my first impressions hold but so far they feel great and the image is fantastic.

As an aside I found a real small case they snug right into from a pair of cheap Meade binoculars. I use a tiny jewelry bag for my mini Zeiss, and that's as low profile as you can get. Try jewelry stores for thier extra bags if you have a pair of mini's and you just want to protect the lenses and put them in your front pocket.

Here's the Swaro case next to the Meade with the CL's in the case and my modified Zeiss 8x20's next to both for scale.

SYxmEij.jpg

Last edited:
If they work don't worry about how they look!:king:

They should fit into almost any case a 10x25 comes with. I keep mine in a case for a Nikon 10x25 Premier (LX L).

Bob

Nessus,

Swaro can get you a second set of eyecups, and considering how easily the cups can be removed I'd probably just glue the o-rings on if they do the trick.

What Meade binocular is that case from? I'm still looking for a small case like that.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back