• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery raptor crossing the Strait of Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

Raven imho, observer says it was flying very high so getting correct size seems impossible unless seen together with other birds at same distance

Thanks Joern for the links and all for the discussion.

disappointing when excited with the hope of a discovery, but still a regular Raven.

There is no disappointment at all. I just wanted to know because there were people who didn’t think it’s a Raven and others who thought it was a BV. I posted the photos in the blog (in early December) just for readers who may want to have a look. That's what happened on 19 December, a reader commented by saying he thinks it’s a BV, and only then I thought why not post it here to see what BF members think.

Even when it's my own mistake, it’s fine. Now and then, I posted here some wrong birds and forum members corrected them: from an Allen's Gallinule which I thought it was a juvenile Purple Swamphen through a European Stonechat which we thought it was a possible Siberian Stonechat… but the best of all (I think) is a juvenile Desert Grey Shrike which I thought it was an Isabelline Shrike.

A refreshingly honest and light hearted approach; every single birder makes mistakes, its how we learn stuff! :)

Thanks Joern for the links and all for the discussion.

There is no disappointment at all. I just wanted to know because there were people who didn’t think it’s a Raven and others who thought it was a BV. I posted the photos in the blog (in early December) just for readers who may want to have a look. That's what happened on 19 December, a reader commented by saying he thinks it’s a BV, and only then I thought why not post it here to see what BF members think.

Even when it's my own mistake, it’s fine. Now and then, I posted here some wrong birds and forum members corrected them: from an Allen's Gallinule which I thought it was a juvenile Purple Swamphen through a European Stonechat which we thought it was a possible Siberian Stonechat… but the best of all (I think) is a juvenile Desert Grey Shrike which I thought it was an Isabelline Shrike.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back