• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sighting in south Scotland (1 Viewer)

TomMalcC

Out for a walk in the fields near Edinburgh over the last few days, I have seen a small group (8 to 10) of these birds. They are finch/bunting size and flit from the trees to the hedgerow to the field. They appear to have a yellowish or greenish appearance - particularly the chest. They seem to be with other birds - I've seen them with finches and dunnocks.

I thought greenfinch - but no apparent yellow wing flash; and a bit rounder than a finch - but it was very cold (-2 C) so may have been fluffed up(?).

So then I thought yellowhammer - but I've never really seen yellow hammers here in the summer, let alone winter before.

I've attached the best image I could get.... (sorry not great).

I'd really appreciate some ideas as to what they may be. Hopefully someone will be able to make an easy ID.

Thanks,

TomMalcC

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 274
I'd say Yellowhammer is a fair bet. I can't make out much from the photo, but the coloration seems right. I'm just over the Forth from where you are, and I'm seeing small groups of Yellowhammer moving about.

Sitting up on the top of a hedge like your pictured bird, is also fairly typical of Yellowhammer.

Looks like Yellowhammer to me too, yellow tending towards ochre/brown with no greenish tones, and group of 8-10 sounds more like Yellowhammer than Greenfinch. They are resident all year round and most of my sightings of them have been in winter.

I know its a poor picture... but there's nothing about it which says Yellowhammer or any other finch to me.. It's carriage and head shape is more like a Robin.. Perhaps it is something else?

I know its a poor picture... but there's nothing about it which says Yellowhammer or any other finch to me.. It's carriage and head shape is more like a Robin.. Perhaps it is something else?

Agree, nothing says Yellowhammer other than it’s vaguely yellow, a product of the strong light. Could be almost anything.

Other than there were 8-10 of them together, and it has a yellow breast and cheek......... so not really like a Robin at all then.

Agree the photo is not conclusive, but I still think the balance of probability on the info available is Yhammer.

.....and a tad pedantic, but Yhammer is a bunting, not a finch ..... :)

Happy New Year !

Agree, nothing says Yellowhammer other than it’s vaguely yellow, a product of the strong light. Could be almost anything.

Based alone on the poor photo of a single bird, maybe there would be room for conjecture, but coupled with the observers description of eight-to ten yellow looking birds, I don't think there is much else they could be.

Plenty of Greenfinch 'group' together where I am, often associating in mixed flocks at this time of year with Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting, and in the right locations, Yellowhammer and Corn Bunting. I've never been one to take too much on the wing and tail flashes unless views are very good or in flight... females can be very dull. Tail in proportion to the body doesn't seem long enough for Yellowhammer to me... Any calls heard? Birds usually quite vocal round me making life a lot easier in these mixed flocks...

That's just a typical pose and setting for a Yellowhammer, sitting in the open on top of a hedge.

Nothing else I can think of looks quite like that and the 'yellow' descriptions fits too.

Happy Hogmanay Tom.

The picture although very unclear looks most like a linnet to me. That does not fit with the description though, although there is yellowy light at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back