• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa's new 50 mm scope (1 Viewer)

TSN-552 sharpness at 40-45X

Hello to all,
This is my first post regarding the TSN-553 scope. I just received my scope and I am happy except for the sharpness beyond the last dot on the
focussing adjustment. At 40X up to 45X my scope isn't easy to focus and it is difficult to obtain a sharp image. Is there a way to find out by the serial number
if it is a pre-production scope ?

Bruno.

TSN-553 sharpness at 40-45X

Hello to all,
This is my first post regarding the TSN-553 scope. I just received my scope and I am happy except for the sharpness beyond the last dot on the
focussing adjustment. At 40X up to 45X my scope isn't easy to focus and it is difficult to obtain a sharp image. Is there a way to find out by the serial number
if it is a pre-production scope ?

Bruno.

Bruce,

Are you sure it's the scope?
I bought an 883 with the 25x-60x zoom eyepiece in the spring but was unable to evaluate it at the dealer's as it was a sunny day with very unstable air. I nevertheless took it on good faith and was later able to verify its true qualities with a tripler and also with a 3,5 mm astro eyepiece (140x) in the Kowa astro adapter.
In the field though it's seldom worth using the 60x magnification and although my main interest is waders, the most impressive views at 60x have often been of songbirds at shorter distances.
Give it another try in stable air (indoors?). Heated buildings in the line of sight are likely to degrade the image significantly at 45x.
Goood luck,

John

So far I have seen nothing to convince me to spend eighteen hundred dollars to save something under a pound over my 664 with the 20-60 zoom or 30W eyepieces. Do to my leg problems I seldom hike anymore so the weight is immaterial other than maybe using a smaller tripod. If resolution is critical say a long way off I would just use the 884. I need a new Tamron 24-70 G2 lens far more than I need a fourth spotting scope. Yea I've got a 601 also but Ben Lizdas when he ran Eagle Optics knew I was a sucker for a great deal.
Steve

At that price I would send it back very fast ...This scope has been nothing but big news,inflated tags and poor reviews(except from vendors and pro experts)and all around a mediocre fixed zoom eyepiece..FLUORITE THIS!

Experience with medium scope/low weight (MM60)

So far I have seen nothing to convince me to spend eighteen hundred dollars to save something under a pound over my 664 with the 20-60 zoom or 30W eyepieces. Do to my leg problems I seldom hike anymore so the weight is immaterial other than maybe using a smaller tripod. If resolution is critical say a long way off I would just use the 884. I need a new Tamron 24-70 G2 lens far more than I need a fourth spotting scope. Yea I've got a 601 also but Ben Lizdas when he ran Eagle Optics knew I was a sucker for a great deal.
Steve

If you're interested for experience with a little scope, look here in the Optic-forum Jülich, Germany. I'm very pleased, but have changed the tripod. It's a satisfying Combo (MM60, Gitzo2180&2532S), but in low-light I use my 85mm-DiaScope.
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,436519

good light
Manfred

Bruno,

We still haven't seen a star-test of any specimen of this scope. I'm afraid learning how to do that is the only way a consumer can really determine what is wrong with any scope. There are many threads on the subject here and a Google search will turn up instructions.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back