• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quail- (Eastern NSW South Coast)- Australia (possible escpape) (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Hello all!

Was going through my photos when I stumbled upon this. Initially I ided it as Brown Quail then upon further investigations I changed my opinion to female Stubble and now I don't think that it is an Australian species...

Eye was black and it was, perhaps, a bit larger then Brown.

I have more images of the bird, inlcuding one without a flash (show real colours) and a short video in which it calls (though now I can barely hear it. according to my notes a quick "Pi-e-preet!".

Images taken in Jan 07 and habitat was suburban sprawl with lots of native vegatation and parks nearby.

Thanks for your help and will post more photos if needed.

Dimitris

Attachments

• Stubble Quail (fem).JPG
    Stubble Quail (fem).JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 153
Hi Dimitris,
Agree, it doesn't look quite right for Brown or Stubble, which leaves the only Oz species as a female King....but if you're correct on size it ain't one of them, and face doesn't look particularly orange in the pic, although the flank/head markings seem a good match. So other than that, it could be an escape European or Japanese, but not sure of their status over there..??

Hi Dimitris,
Agree, it doesn't look quite right for Brown or Stubble, which leaves the only Oz species as a female King....but if you're correct on size it ain't one of them, and face doesn't look particularly orange in the pic, although the flank/head markings seem a good match. So other than that, it could be an escape European or Japanese, but not sure of their status over there..??

There are no records of wild birds of these two species (only escapes). So guess I'll have to dig out more shots asap... And yes, my size estimation is right the bird was feeding under my feeder for a whole day and then the cats prolly got it. As for King well the last record in my area was in the 1980s..

Cheers!

Dimitris

Edit: added photos

Attachments

• Quail 1.jpg
    Quail 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Quail 3.jpg
    Quail 3.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
124 views and no extra replies! O.O...

I've sent the picture to an Australian mailing list and most of the folk there conclude that it's a Brown Quail, which (from photos) appears to be a fairly variable species.

Thanks for your time! :)

Dimitris

124 views and no extra replies! O.O...

I've sent the picture to an Australian mailing list and most of the folk there conclude that it's a Brown Quail, which (from photos) appears to be a fairly variable species.

Thanks for your time! :)

Dimitris

Good for you that you did get some kind of consensus! (and thanks for letting us know). I basically could not do better than looking in Pizzey & Knight, which you had already done yourself ...

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back