• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar Packagin (1 Viewer)

motts

Hey guys, I just received a pair of Meopta Meostar binoculars that I purchased off of Ebay. The seller had over 9000 ratings and was 99.7% positive. Anyway, binos are packaged in a plain white box with a Meopta paper cover that slides over the white box.

Normally, white box like that to me says "refurbished." I haven't even looked through the binos yet. I'm just wondering if I was led to believe that I was buying a "brand new" item and instead received a refurb.

To those who have purchased Meopta binoculars brand new, could you please describe the packaging your binos came in...or maybe show a picture. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi Motts,

Mine were packaged the same way. Color printed sleeve over a white box.

How you like them?

Cheers

I haven't looked through them yet; I'm heading home for lunch in a bit and I'll give them a look. The customer service emailed me back and assured me that they are indeed brand new. She said there was a bit of shelf wear on the printed sleeve part of the box and apologized for that.

If I look through them and everything looks good I'll keep them.

There should be a warranty card somewhere, so you can read a serial number off of them and call or e mail meopta that it is authentic.

Hi Motts,

Mine were packaged the same way. Color printed sleeve over a white box.

How you like them?

Cheers

Hi Motts,
mine were in the same packaging also. White box with a printed sleeve slid over it.
Give them a really thorough check though. The first pair I tried had a piece of debris in one side at the egde of the fov. It wasn't immediately obvious, it showed up after 5 or 10 minutes use in the field. It wasn't visible when I tried them out at the shop (so probably not noticable during quality control at the factory either). I think it moved into view once I had walked around a bit with them round my neck. I had to exchange them.
I don't expect it's a common problem and every company has quality control lapses so it wouldn't put me off Meopta at all. It just goes to show that you should thoroughly check everything you buy.

That was 6 months ago and I still think wow when I use them.

I don't expect it's a common problem and every company has quality control lapses so it wouldn't put me off Meopta at all. It just goes to show that you should thoroughly check everything you buy.
True. I had exactly the same thing with a pair of Swaro EL´s I bought in a store here years ago...half an hour later I took ´em back and changed them over the counter. And this year, the same thing with a pair of Nikon EII´s I bought online, a tiny speck on the FOV edge. The sellers changed them too. So I wouldn´t describe it as a problem that never happens at the "top-end". I´ve never seen Meoptas, can you post your opinions when you´ve been out and about with them? Ta.

True. I had exactly the same thing with a pair of Swaro EL´s I bought in a store here years ago...half an hour later I took ´em back and changed them over the counter. And this year, the same thing with a pair of Nikon EII´s I bought online, a tiny speck on the FOV edge. The sellers changed them too. So I wouldn´t describe it as a problem that never happens at the "top-end". I´ve never seen Meoptas, can you post your opinions when you´ve been out and about with them? Ta.

The demo pair of EL in store had similar problem when I bought mine. I inspected the pair I ended up buying before leaving the store. High end binoculars is not trouble free. It probably has slightly less issue than less expensive one as it should.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back