• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-500mm (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

Hi All,

Following on from my enquiry about the Sigma 170-500mm I have decided that it is not the lens for me, as I really need a lens which can deliver me with better images. Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 150-500mm and have any test shots available that I could see?

Alex

Hi whats wrong with the 170 500, sigma lens, I have one and I get some briliant shots with it, and it is not OS just G APO,

Attachments

• cyprus tag one set off 240.jpg
    cyprus tag one set off 240.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 262
well... its the best lens i think avalible for that price, maybee look at the nikon 80-400?
It's ok quality wise and a little slow AF but as an ameture new to telephotos i loved it. It can be very slow in low light, but the OS helps a little. Maybee look at a second hand 120-300 f2.8 if possible? but it will be a great first telephoto if your just getting started.
:)

Hi Alex,
I've had this lens for 2 and a bit years now. I paid £600 for it and have say I've had value for money. Is it as sharp as a Nikon or Canon equivilent? Of course not considering they are 10 x as expensive. But it can deliver images that, to me, are more than acceptable. Some arguments against it are it's "softness" and it's weight.. I'll post some images so that you can decide yourself if the soft/sharp level is satisfactory to you.. as for the weight, not a problem to me as I can walk around for a good 10hrs with it around my neck and not suffer at all (I am pretty fit though!) It is useful having the zoom range but only really if your subject is really close.. I wouldn't expect any decent landscape shots at 150mm.

The "sweet spot" is at f8, I never go to f6.3 this unless light levels are very low and then I'm not expecting the image to be very good, more for a "record" shot. I suppose you could say that this is the lens' weakness as it's sometimes hard to get enough shutter speed at f8. I'd probably do better if I were to use a tripod I guess! All the images I'll post are handheld. I do post editing with photoshop elements 8; usually just some sharpening and light level adjustment. (which I've done with the ones attached)

I also find that under-exposing is more preferable with my set-up (I use a Nikon D90) as it gives a faster shutter speed and i find it easier to improve the image by lightening it. Usually -3, sometimes -7 if required.

If i've left out any info, let me know!

Kev

Attachments

• Copy of DSC_0053 copy.jpg
    Copy of DSC_0053 copy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 367
  • Puffin 1.jpg
    Puffin 1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 336
  • CSC_5901.jpg
    CSC_5901.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 363
  • C bunt.jpg
    C bunt.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Crested lark.jpg
    Crested lark.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 378
Should've mentioned, all the images are taken fully extended at 500mm.. a few people have rendered this lens useless at this range... I disagree!

Here's a flight shot as, although not super-quick to pick up and focus on a moving target, it does ok once locked-on..

Attachments

• Marsh Harrier.jpg
    Marsh Harrier.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 383
Quote from Kev23: (all the images are taken fully extended at 500mm.. a few people have rendered this lens useless at this range... I disagree!)

X2.
Although images may not be stunning, they are more than usable. Mine are all taken at 500mm too. (with this lens, I find a lower keeping rate than those shoot with a prime lens though).

1. Just reized and sharpened lightly.
2. Crop from original 1, resized, sharpened lightly.
All others are taken at 500mm, cropped.

Attachments

• Iona271009 624_1.jpg
    Iona271009 624_1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Iona271009 624t.jpg
    Iona271009 624t.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3254tr.jpg
    IMG_3254tr.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9729t.jpg
    IMG_9729t.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Iona271009 632t_1.jpg
    Iona271009 632t_1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I love mine, and will continue to do so until I can swing for a real monster some day. Check my gallery, almost everything shot in the past 2 1/2 years is with the 150-500 OS. Not as sharp as I'd like, bokeh lacks the smoothness I long for, AF lacks a limiter switch, but all in all for the price nothing comes close, IMO. Great for travel where portability and focal length are two primary concerns.

Couldnt agree more with you guys. As long as the particular lens is a good one ( some people reported dodgy ones )
Also, some poor shots can also be down to the user. Its not always the lens

Mine seemed fine, and i ended up with shots as good as anything else out there. I paid £500 for a used one

As stated, f8 is the widest sweet spot. Also, the lens isnt a true 500mm. It was tested ( and reported ) to be something like 470mm, give or take. I cant remember the exact figure though, but 470 is close.

Photo samples shot with 150-500

Attachments

• Collared Dove 3.jpg
    Collared Dove 3.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 236
  • Cygnet.jpg
    Cygnet.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Gull2.jpg
    Gull2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Herring Gull.jpg
    Herring Gull.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Starling4.jpg
    Starling4.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 277
. Also, the lens isnt a true 500mm. It was tested ( and reported ) to be something like 470mm, give or take. I cant remember the exact figure though, but 470 is close.
I think it suffers from focus breathing like a lot of big zooms. I measured one 150-500 that I had as being around 430mm at 20 feet.

I've never read any reports stating the true max FL was any thing like as bad as 430mm. Sounds like a fault maybe ?

I've never read any reports stating the true max FL was any thing like as bad as 430mm. Sounds like a fault maybe ?

You may well be right. It had enough problems with focusing that I returned it within a week. But my feeling is still that it was really a 470-480mm lens at best and Sigma was optimistically rounding up the specs.

(It was actually the second 150-500 that I'd tried. The first simply refused to focus at all over about 200mm. I believe Sigma did recall some of these lenses to fix focusing issues.)

470/480mm was about the true FL that i had read about.

There certainly were some bad models, as a few people have mentioned sending them back.

I agree with what has been already said + You must wait for the os to settle a Little. brighter days are much better than dull days. Not great with extender! Just posted two pictures on the ID section on warblers you can check them out. it's the old adage of you get what you pay for. Which with hind sight is a little unfair. Verdict great walkabout lens for the money. Regards. Mike

Thank you so much for all the info. I am now certain that this is the lens for me. I currently use a Tamron 70-300mm which is sharp enough for me but it just lacks the reach as I'm a bird photographer and 300mm is just not enough!

I'm actually a fan of MF so I can get the eye perfectly focus, so any reported problems with the AF won't bother me.

How does the OS system work on this lens?

Alex

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back