• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Andalucia Birding (1 Viewer)

Both sites

Really useful info once again! Never got this far North from Bonanza so its an area i'd like to explore in April.
Would you say its worth doing both Bonanza and this area? or are they quite similar?

Bonanza is better for waders, Slender-billed Gull and Imperial Eagle.

Halfway inbetween, at La Algaida, you can get AWMagpie, apart frm the other usual passerines.

In the Trebujena area towards Brazo del Este(BDE) you'l have a better chance to spot drier open-ground species such as Larks, sandgrouse and stone curlew (listen for calls) whilst in BDE itself, it a better place for RKCoot & herons, especially Squacco. Its worth covering both areas, your birdlist will def increase.

Find attached some birds and scapes photographed last Thrursday. The two other sites pictured are the road near Trebujena, whilst the one with the trees, nearing Brazo de Este.

Attachments

• Lesser-short-toed-lark.jpg
    Lesser-short-toed-lark.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Yellow-Wagtail.jpg
    Yellow-Wagtail.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Slender-billed-Gull.jpg
    Slender-billed-Gull.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Trebujena-marshes.jpg
    Trebujena-marshes.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Near-razo-de-Este.jpg
    Near-razo-de-Este.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 102
I think Birdman7 has summed it up perfectly. Although perhaps lacking the a focal point, I love the drive along the river between Trebujena and Senuela - although I've never had any luck with sandgrouse there.

Scops Owl

Once again we'll be off in Spain this Spring and once again Liz'll want to see Scops Owl - she's not a birder, but it's the one bird she'd like to see. Unfortunately, I've consistently failed to find one. Does anyone know of somewhere (hopefully within easy reach of Alcala de los Gazules) where they might be seen or at least heard?

Scops Owl

Once again we'll be off in Spain this Spring and once again Liz'll want to see Scops Owl - she's not a birder, but it's the one bird she'd like to see. Unfortunately, I've consistently failed to find one. Does anyone know of somewhere (hopefully within easy reach of Alcala de los Gazules) where they might be seen or at least heard?

Iv heard them at Pinar del Rey behind San Roque quite often during summer. The best best place is in Gibraltar, after a night's rain. I could take you both up the rock, has to be very early morning, (7ish) and you can see them sitting on the road-side wires in front of the car, just a few metres away. Its the same way we get great view of Nighjars, and iv even picked up a Quail with my own hands using the car's headlamps dazzling them, and subsequently ringed and released at our ringing centre at Jew's Gte. Let me know if your interested and I can arrange that.

Iv heard them at Pinar del Rey behind San Roque quite often during summer. The best best place is in Gibraltar, after a night's rain. I could take you both up the rock, has to be very early morning, (7ish) and you can see them sitting on the road-side wires in front of the car, just a few metres away. Its the same way we get great view of Nighjars, and iv even picked up a Quail with my own hands using the car's headlamps dazzling them, and subsequently ringed and released at our ringing centre at Jew's Gte. Let me know if your interested and I can arrange that.

This sounds excellent.
Would love to see this if it could be arranged and yourself and John wouldn't mind me coming along? I'm in Spain at the same time as John this coming April so if you do sort something I would very much like to join if its ok with the both of you.

Bonanza is better for waders, Slender-billed Gull and Imperial Eagle.

Halfway inbetween, at La Algaida, you can get AWMagpie, apart frm the other usual passerines.

In the Trebujena area towards Brazo del Este(BDE) you'l have a better chance to spot drier open-ground species such as Larks, sandgrouse and stone curlew (listen for calls) whilst in BDE itself, it a better place for RKCoot & herons, especially Squacco. Its worth covering both areas, your birdlist will def increase.

Find attached some birds and scapes photographed last Thrursday. The two other sites pictured are the road near Trebujena, whilst the one with the trees, nearing Brazo de Este.

Does sound an interesting area, worth going to to see as well as great birds.

Love your photos as well, the SBG one is simply superb.

This sounds excellent.
Would love to see this if it could be arranged and yourself and John wouldn't mind me coming along? I'm in Spain at the same time as John this coming April so if you do sort something I would very much like to join if its ok with the both of you.

Im sure we can arrange something nearer the time :)

How long in the year can Scops Owls be heard/found?

Scops Owl

Early October would prob the latest to have a fairly good chance to spot them after some inclement weather. Let me know if your around the area and il see if I can help :)

Early October would prob the latest to have a fairly good chance to spot them after some inclement weather. ...

Are the birds still calling late in the year?

What about chances to see Whithe-rumped Swift end of August/beginning September? Any especially promising locations to look for this bird?

Are the birds still calling late in the year?

What about chances to see Whithe-rumped Swift end of August/beginning September? Any especially promising locations to look for this bird?

Not sure about Scops Owl but for White-Rumped Swift you could try Sierra de la Plata near Bolonia, to the west of Tarifa.
There is a rock face near the top of the road leading up to it that I have seen them at before (Last September in fact). Failing that any suitable looking bridges where Red-Rumped Swallow may have nested has proven successful.

http://avesdelsur.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/bolonia.jpg

Site G on this map :) Also John C has told me site H is good too.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back