• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doñana - The shame of Doñana (1 Viewer)

Black Wheatear

Bowed but not broken, yet!
Guy Mountfort was the prime instigator of the successful financing for purchasing land that saved the Doñana as we know it today. And yet you would never know it, unless you read various literature and references made in some official documents. It simply beggars belief that no visitor centre, no monument, no plague or Park literature pays respect to the saviour of the land which forms the main part of this wonderful National Park.

1960 rumours were heard developers had their sights on the lands of the Doñana By 1961 these rumours were confirmed, there were plans for a holiday camp stretching the full length of the sand beaches of the Doñana and the worst was plans to drain the protective eastern barrier of the marismas! The most notable of local people to side with the crusade of saving the area were Don Manuel and Don Mauricio González, as part owners of the Coto, with much to gain financially from the proposed developments; they heroically supported efforts to preserve it.

Money was needed to stem the advances of developers and Guy Mountfort mobilised support, a move that led to the renowned formation of the World Wildlife Fund. So eventually money was raised and with the support of the Spanish Government the area was purchased and the National Park came into being. Whilst local park centres and reserve areas pay tribute to local Spanish pioneers, just where is the local recognition for the hero and champion of the Doñana, Guy Mountfort? For me it is an extremely sad and indefensible omission by national and local authorities alike.

Illustrated report on http://spanishnature.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/donana-shame-of-donana.html

Peter

Guy Mountfort was the prime instigator of the successful financing for purchasing land that saved the Doñana as we know it today. And yet you would never know it, unless you read various literature and references made in some official documents. It simply beggars belief that no visitor centre, no monument, no plague or Park literature pays respect to the saviour of the land which forms the main part of this wonderful National Park.

1960 rumours were heard developers had their sights on the lands of the Doñana By 1961 these rumours were confirmed, there were plans for a holiday camp stretching the full length of the sand beaches of the Doñana and the worst was plans to drain the protective eastern barrier of the marismas! The most notable of local people to side with the crusade of saving the area were Don Manuel and Don Mauricio González, as part owners of the Coto, with much to gain financially from the proposed developments; they heroically supported efforts to preserve it.

Money was needed to stem the advances of developers and Guy Mountfort mobilised support, a move that led to the renowned formation of the World Wildlife Fund. So eventually money was raised and with the support of the Spanish Government the area was purchased and the National Park came into being. Whilst local park centres and reserve areas pay tribute to local Spanish pioneers, just where is the local recognition for the hero and champion of the Doñana, Guy Mountfort? For me it is an extremely sad and indefensible omission by national and local authorities alike.

Illustrated report on http://spanishnature.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/donana-shame-of-donana.html

Peter

Thanks for sharing here too, Peter.
It really is a crime that this man is not recognised for the work he has done, but then many people who deserve recognition go without so much as a thank you.
How different south west Spain could have been without the effort put in to save Donana. Equally how different could it be had La Janda not been drained and chosen to be protected instead of Donana.
At least those who know about the work Guy Mountfort did can celebrate his work even if Spanish authorities couldn't care less.

Guy Mountford

Was never aware of the work of this great conservationist and indeed if it is true that Doñana never recognised his work is a great shame and sad omission. His book Portrait of a Wilderness: The story of the Coto Doñana Expeditions looks an interesting read. Well done Peter.

A Telegraph Obituary here

His book 'Portrait of a Wilderness' is (as I have said on here before) the reason I took up birdwatching in the first place. If you haven't read it - shame on you! I leaf through the book occasionally to remind myself what a truly great man (along with all those other giants of early ornithology) he was.
Thanks for the reminder, Peter.

Thanks for sharing here too, Peter.
It really is a crime that this man is not recognised for the work he has done, but then many people who deserve recognition go without so much as a thank you.
How different south west Spain could have been without the effort put in to save Donana. Equally how different could it be had La Janda not been drained and chosen to be protected instead of Donana.
At least those who know about the work Guy Mountfort did can celebrate his work even if Spanish authorities couldn't care less.

Quite right Oliver, those who know of his role as principle saviour of the Doñana can celebrate him, even if the park do not.

Was never aware of the work of this great conservationist and indeed if it is true that Doñana never recognised his work is a great shame and sad omission. His book Portrait of a Wilderness: The story of the Coto Doñana Expeditions looks an interesting read. Well done Peter.
A Telegraph Obituary here

It is a complete mystery Birdman7 why his work has been so totally ignored by those responsible for running and promoting the Park. Surely it could not be anything to do with being British? I'm at a loss to explain the absence of any recognition given to such an important figure in the very existence of Doñana!

His book 'Portrait of a Wilderness' is (as I have said on here before) the reason I took up birdwatching in the first place. If you haven't read it - shame on you! I leaf through the book occasionally to remind myself what a truly great man (along with all those other giants of early ornithology) he was.
Thanks for the reminder, Peter.

Truly one of the great conservationists Jon, so even more shameful his role in saving what we know as Doñana remains ignored by the Park.

Thanks for the comments. Peter:C

Guy Mountford

So, what to do about it?

Next time we tour there we could all wear Guy Mountford masks hehe ;) na seriously, perhaps those attending the interpretations centres can quietly educate the staff there with the information and sad omission. Perhaps an online petition can work?

So, what to do about it?

I think SiG if all visitors to the area mention the omission whilst at the various visitor centres and also at their accommodation etc, it would be a start. Perhaps if enough folk do this, then perhaps the shame will convince the authorities and other tour companies/operators to put acknowledgement to the great man in their literature! I'm not holding my breath, but I'd hope there are decent people running and working in the Park.

Peter

I think SiG if all visitors to the area mention the omission whilst at the various visitor centres and also at their accommodation etc, it would be a start. Perhaps if enough folk do this, then perhaps the shame will convince the authorities and other tour companies/operators to put acknowledgement to the great man in their literature! I'm not holding my breath, but I'd hope there are decent people running and working in the Park.

Peter

I see Paco Chiclana does a separate thread on Donana, people like him could maybe help with this?

I see Paco Chiclana does a separate thread on Donana, people like him could maybe help with this?

Good idea Jon, any chance you can ask him? Peter

Left an appropriate message in the JA Valverdes visitor centre guest book last week

Great SiG, perhaps others will do the same. What about everyone now refers to the area as 'Mountfort's Doñana'? Seems only right to me!!! Peter

It would appear the posts by me regarding the Doñana must be having some affect, though not sure if it is all together very pleasant on a personal basis. Had this recent piece of communication on a social media site:

Amazing, you make an observation and comment on it then abuse comes hurling back! Some really sad people out there, the topic concerned a visitors centre (Dehesa de Abajo) which had been renovated and stood empty for a long time.... Comments went:

June Taylor. Love this place

Peter Jones. Great, but yet to find this huge investment open!!!

June Taylor. It's been open for a couple of months and it's well worth a visit.

Peter Jones. Good to hear June, renovation work was expensive and then it stood closed for a very very long time, which seemed typically crazy.

Dehesa de Abajo. Peter Jones, if my country is always for you such a bloody disater , why the hell are you living here yet? Don´t you prefer somewhere else, verbigracia lovely UK?

Peter Jones. What a nice man / person you are. And who precisely has said your country is always such a disaster?? If I thought that then certainly I would not live here. You extremely sad person.

I thought this was quite an extraordinary outburst from a public office and totally over the top. Then again it is encouraging as it means those within the park have read this thread on Doñana!

Peter :-C

Obviously he/she is the one that actually believes his country is a bloody disaster (in his own words..) and has trouble accepting any form of comment...as we all know attack is the best form of defence. I actually found his comment quite hilarious and pathetic...what a retard... I am sure HE/SHE would be the one more than happy to live in the UK and leave his country so maybe he should focus on moving and leave certain people in peace that are actually trying to do something to enrich the country.

In the end Peter it is not even worth reading his/her comment, not only is this person hiding behind a company/organisation name, but the whole comment is stupid.

Derek

Guy Mountfort's Doñana

In the end Peter it is not even worth reading his/her comment, not only is this person hiding behind a company/organisation name, but the whole comment is stupid. Derek

I agree Derek. I am hoping to find out who this mystery person is whilst at the Birdfair this year! Though I won't hold my breathe that I might have any kind of meaningful or intelligent conversation.

Nice weather?.

Haha Jos, of course one of the main reasons! It wouldn't be for the offending person's good and intelligent company.

Peter :t:

Guy Mountfort's Doñana

Reassuringly received this from bird guide in Doñana:

As mentioned recently Peter, I agree that it is an injustice that Doñana managers have not paid tribute to one of the most influential people in the conservation of this space and spread its values ​​around the world.

Affinity, to be national, charisma and dedication, José Antonio Valverde has taken all honors always deserved more than the other.

The Doñana expeditions were a milestone in the history of conservation in Europe and do not understand that the authorities concerned have not paid homage to this fact. The thousands of visitors who come to Doñana whites each year would feel pleasantly identified if there is any sculpture and visitor center dedicated to Guy Mountfort and Doñana Expeditions.

Perhaps the initiative can be promoted by a private organization like the Andalucia Bird Society. Although we know how complicated it is and what it costs Doñana step here.

Spanish Version:

Como ya hemos comentado recientemente Peter, estoy de acuerdo en que es una injusticia que los gestores de Doñana no hayan rendido tributo a una de las personas que más influyó en la conservación de este espacio y en difundir sus valores por todo el mundo.

Por afinidad, al ser nacional, carisma y dedicación, José Antonio Valverde se ha llevado todos los honores siempre, más que merecidos por otra parte.

Las expediciones a Doñana fueron un hito en la historia de la conservación en Europa y no se entiende que las administraciones implicadas no hayan rendido homenaje a tal hecho. Los miles de visitantes anglosajones que acuden a Doñana cada año se sentirían gratamente identificados si existiera alguna escultura y centro de visitantes dedicado a Guy Mountfort y las Doñana Expeditions.

Quizás la iniciativa pueda ser promovida por alguna organización privada como la Andalucía Bird Society. Aunque ya sabemos lo complicada que es Doñana y lo que cuesta dar un paso aquí.

Slowly slowly. It needs more Spanish to recognise this injustice before anything is likely to happen.

Peter :t:

Attachments

• Portrait-of-a-Wilderness-002.jpg
    Portrait-of-a-Wilderness-002.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 121
We would be so grateful for your support in gaining recognition for Guy Mountfort and his role in establishing the Doñana National Park. At the moment there is absolutely no recognition by the Park or local authorities, simply praise and recognition for Spanish nationals. Please show your support by 'LIKING' the following Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/GuyMountfortsDonana?hc_location=stream

Thank you very much for your support.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back