• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two moths for ID, Speyside (1 Viewer)

Nicola Main

Struggling to find these in Waring & Townsend book help please!

Attachments

• moth.jpg
    moth.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 55
  • moth 1.jpg
    moth 1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 56
Here's another photo of another moth taken at the same place (this time on the window) which I identified as a Dark Marbled Carpet ...

Attachments

• dark marbled carpet.jpg
    dark marbled carpet.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 30
I struggle with the idea of July Highflyer pushing through a second generation by September especially in Scotland so I am left wondering about May Highflyer as a possibility? No chance to look at books until tomorrow but I may try and do so then.

All the best

Paul in Waring & Townsend it says the flight season for July Highflyer is July-August in southern Britain and late July-early October in northern Britain. May Highflyer is one generation May-early July.

Nicola

Many thanks. That's interesting. Not reflected in Skinner or Clancy. I wonder if I've recorded it when trapping there in September and forgotten. Certainly the larvae I collected bred through earlier than that.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back