• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird-of-prey? - Brooklyn Bridge, New York, September 2017 (1 Viewer)

AntonBE

Hey everyone. In September while walking over the brooklyn bridge and looking at gulls I noticed a brown bird that was much larger and had very straight wings, flying low over the water. I don't really have much of a clue as of what it could be, except perhaps a bird-of-prey of some description?

The pictures are very blurry and taken from far away so a definite ID is probably hard, but the general shape of the bird I feel is quite characteristic, I just can't quite put my finger on it.
Gulls and Pigeons should provide a decent sense of scale!

Attachments

• IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9085.jpg
    IMG_9085.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 129
Looks like a young gull to me too. Color pattern isn't good for eagle but matches the other gull at bottom right corner in the first picture.

Also, a bald eagle would have at least a seven foot wingspan. That's about double the size of the largest gull. Should be really obvious in a photo like this where all the birds are near the water surface.

(Is that a pigeon at left in first photo, or a gull with wings foreshortened?)

Last edited:
Horizontal wings and upturned wingtips.. Its not a gull.. Looks like a buteo.. Probably a Redtail hawk..

Last edited:
Horizontal wings and upturned wingtips.. Its not a gull.. Looks like a buteo.. Probably a Redtail hawk..

It's just mid flap I think - I'm in the first winter Larus camp. Uniform brown colouration to me suggests AHG.
Looks to be another in the bottom right of photo 1

It's just mid flap I think - I'm in the first winter Larus camp. Uniform brown colouration to me suggests AHG.
Looks to be another in the bottom right of photo 1

I can't say I've seen a gull with upturned wingtips midflap or not. Primaries are usually to short and stiff...

I'm seeing pointed, unfingered wings and much more of a head projection than any bird of prey in the size range. Another for juvenile large Larus sp, most likely smithsonianus I guess in NYC.

I can't say I've seen a gull with upturned wingtips midflap or not. Primaries are usually to short and stiff...

I know what you mean as most of the time gulls are in fairly relaxed flight, but when actively manoeuvring like here then they bend upwards.... a few examples...

Mick

Attachments

• Mar17-021 UK.jpg
    Mar17-021 UK.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 10
  • Apr16-125SP.jpg
    Apr16-125SP.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Apr16-119SP.jpg
    Apr16-119SP.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Apr15-119SP.jpg
    Apr15-119SP.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Oct14-022UK.jpg
    Oct14-022UK.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 11
All of this makes a lot of sense, thanks all for the ID! I'm glad I'm not the only one who took it as something different entirely at first, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back