• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pratincoles in Sharjah? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

In 2001 I was at Sharjah airport, which is about 15 miles from Dubai. The area ws very arid and in effect was desert.
I recall looking through the heat haze and about 6 birds alighted on a wire fence, then quickly disappeared before i could get my binos out.

These birds were about Pratincole size and possessed that unique look and posture. This is a real stab in the dark, but do pratincoles land on fences, and in that region are black pratincoles or collared more likely?

Any help would be appreciated

regards

I've never heard of Pratincoles landing on fences. I don't suppose that they were Bee-eaters and you were unable to see any colour on them?

I've never seen Pratincoles on fences in the Middle East, they much prefer terra firma. They are a wader and find perching somewhat difficult, in fact I would say impossible...but now someone will post a pic of a perched Pratincole :t:

Janes call for Bee-eaters makes sense.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back