• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

These are really quality shots, of my favourite bird.
Mind you Trace, Gert was having an good bash at some flight shots today. Were they taken on the ground floor of the new hide?
B :)John
ps. still got your rucksack mate;)

pics were from up stairs we just dropped in for 10mins on way back from yellow browed, don't worry about bag had another one twice the size for 2quid last week!

Birding today on the reserve

After the work party spent only a brief time birding around the Moors, before moving on to the Flashes for the roost.
Moors : GCG 4, little grebe, shoveler 8, Teal, gadwall 2 pairs, Tufted c40, Oystercatcher 4, lapwing 2, snipe only 1 seen by the work team,
water rail seen at the concrete hide and 2 at the north moors.
plenty of chiffchaffs calling around the Moors. Mark also had a blackcap singing and a goldcrest sang near the secret garden.

Flashes: teal c10, gadwall male, Avocet 9, Lapwing 14, Oystercatcher 2, Curlew 6, LRP 2, the BHG roost was at reasonable level with no more than 300 present - the large numbers from 2 weeks ago have now thankfully moved on.
Herring gull ad + 2nd summer, coot 12.
Stock dove c5, collared dove ( a rarity at the Flashes), mixed flock of winter thrushes c30.
I will be back with the work party news once I sort out the photos

Sailing pool GCG 13, greylag pair. redpoll 7 in southern end larches

:)John
[/B]ps can't remember seeing shelduck ..did anybody see any?

Last edited:
:)John
[/B]ps can't remember seeing shelduck ..did anybody see any?[/QUOTE]

Pair of shelduck were on the moors.

Beautiful day down the mecca today - even joined in with the work-party lads, strimming in the secret garden - a right sun-trap in there, had my shirt off at one stage - easy tiger!

Oh to have grown up children and be retired, I'd be there all the time, planning a new eastern-shore profile, with tower hide in the secret garden, channels from the reed-beds into shallow scrapes and all manner. Must remember to do euro-lottery this week.

Seriously, the reserve is looking absolutely fantastic - a huge shout goes out for all the work-party crews who have worked their socks off - thank-you.

Tuesday work party at North Moors

Today we worked on 3 separate projects. And once again a great turn out, with 15 of us doing the business.
1. North Moors reed bed
2. the south west marsh island clearance.
3. secret garden, south view

1. North Moors reed bed work. We planned on cutting a channel through the reeds on the east side of the pool, that could be viewed from the hide. Unfortunately, thinking that the land had dried out, we were pleasantly surprised that the reeds were actually in quite deep water, that was in effect a floating bog.
However we were able to coppice the clump of 7 varying sized willows from the east shore. This will lessen the drying effect in this part of the pool, which at present is very wet and boggy. The reeds had been shaded out in this area and will now be able to expand.
The brash was then used to create a 100 yard long 'dead hedge' in front of the east side plantation. It was linked to the nearby bramble patches. We also strimmed around the bramble patches in front of the bench. This will encourage a more diverse fauna and enable birds to ground forage.
work carried out by: Dave H, Ray C, Paul H (Beyonder), Mark S (Hagar), Charles L, Steve V, Paul A, Paul C (oriole Boy) and me. cheers Lads

Photos
1 (from hide) and 2 (from plantation) of the willow clump to be coppiced
3 and 4 after work
5. dead hedge from SE corner of pool.

Attachments

• 1.B4 WORK ON nm WILLO (2).JPG
    1.B4 WORK ON nm WILLO (2).JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 2. NM east side Willo B4 work (2).JPG
    2. NM east side Willo B4 work (2).JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3. AFTA WILLOW REMOVED nm (2).JPG
    3. AFTA WILLOW REMOVED nm (2).JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.NM afta work east side (2).JPG
    4.NM afta work east side (2).JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.dead hedge east plantation (2).JPG
    5.dead hedge east plantation (2).JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
2. SW marsh islands
The islands can only be reached by boat, so everything has to be ferried on and off the islands.
6 of the Lads cut the willows on the islands these were then removed to the western boundary fence. The stumps were then treated.

work carried out by: John C, Terry W, Terry N, Matt, Steve and Andy H (WWT officer) cheers Lads

Attachments

• 8 SW marsh (2).jpg
    8 SW marsh (2).jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 9sw marsh (2).jpg
    9sw marsh (2).jpg
    252 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
3. Secret garden southern view.
Mark (hagar), Paul C (Oriole boy) and Paul A, cut the rough grassland and rank herbaceous vegetation that is overlooked from the southern viewing screen. Once the vegetation was removed and raked up the area became very wet, in time with a bit of tweaking this could be an interesting habitat.

work carried out by: Mark S , Paul C and Paul A cheers Lads

Attachments

• 6. b4 work SG south view (2).JPG
    6. b4 work SG south view (2).JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.afta work south sg (2).JPG
    7.afta work south sg (2).JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Practised a bit with my camera on the Avo's, the bright sun causes me a problem with the contrasting black and white.

I dare say the next few weeks will see a lot of pics of these beautiful birds.
I took these from upstairs talking to Rob E yesterday he told me the 'togs' prefer the downstairs for their pics, will try it down there on Friday.

Attachments

• 1.resize of copy of original (2).jpg
    1.resize of copy of original (2).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.resized of orig 2 avos.jpg
    2.resized of orig 2 avos.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 69
1. Quick question, once again: What does the abbreviation "pol." stand for with regards to bird sightings?
2. @John and his Avocets shots: I am not sure, but I think I read once that a higher A-Value (smaller opening of the lens) can help with these stark black & white contrasts a little. Worth a try, maybe.

1. Quick question, once again: What does the abbreviation "pol." stand for with regards to bird sightings?
2. @John and his Avocets shots: I am not sure, but I think I read once that a higher A-Value (smaller opening of the lens) can help with these stark black & white contrasts a little. Worth a try, maybe.

Hi Daniel
re the photos ..I am not much of a photographer and I only have a 'bridge camera' . At present I only set it on Auto. so will try what you say.

re 'pol' don't know that abbreviation..where is it used ?

I have just received info on the ringed swan which I reported to Slimbridge as one of their birds T26. It is one of the pair that have become resident on the Moors.
1st year (hatch 2005) 04/03/06 R. Severn
17/09/06 R. Avon, Pershore
08/12/07 14/12/07, 09/01/08 R. Severn, Worcester
13/03/09 R. Severn, Worcester
27/06/10 Pershore Wetlands
My report in March at the Moors.
Thought this may be of interest to some of you.
Rob

Not forgetting the Flashes

Over the last few years the hedgerow behind the New hide has been covered in 'wild hop' this has benefits to some insects. However it has also weakened the bushes that support it, such as the hawthorn and elder. Yesterday we noticed that a lot of the elder branches had died and broken off and were hanging over the path, with a lot of bramble also attached. We removed some of the branches on safety grounds and inadvertently created a view of the transmitter field never previously seen. Looking out of the left side window of the hide, you can now see the higher ground (not seen from elsewhere) around the rim of the 'bomb crater'. This will be useful when checking for wagtails and wheatears at passage times. If needs be we could slightly extend this, but will not compromise the benefit of the hedgerow to wildlife - but saying that it appears to be dying in places and we will soon need to plant up sections.
Also the Saline lagoons are now looking ideal for the coming spring breeding and passage waders. On a worrying note the water level has already dropped by 1 cm in the last week, so caution will be the priority with water level manipulation.

Attachments

• view from left sidem of hide ova field (2).jpg
    view from left sidem of hide ova field (2).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 flashes(2).jpg
    1 flashes(2).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2 flashes (2).jpg
    2 flashes (2).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 3 flashes(2).jpg
    3 flashes(2).jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 51
I have just received info on the ringed swan which I reported to Slimbridge as one of their birds T26. It is one of the pair that have become resident on the Moors.
1st year (hatch 2005) 04/03/06 R. Severn
17/09/06 R. Avon, Pershore
08/12/07 14/12/07, 09/01/08 R. Severn, Worcester
13/03/09 R. Severn, Worcester
27/06/10 Pershore Wetlands
My report in March at the Moors.
Thought this may be of interest to some of you.
Rob

Cheers Rob..always good to get info on individual species:t:John

Practised a bit with my camera on the Avo's, the bright sun causes me a problem with the contrasting black and white.

I took these from upstairs talking to Rob E yesterday he told me the 'togs' prefer the downstairs for their pics, will try it down there on Friday.

They are very tricky to expose properly John. (I rarely get it right!) Have a look here for some ideas on how to do it.

http://mikeatkinson.net/Tutorial-5-Exposure.htm

You should be able to alter at least some of the settings on your camera.

Rob

Here's a tog comment 8-P ;

try going to aperture priority, choose a mid to low f stop, reduce ISO as low as poss- will increase the quality of the image but keep an eye on the shutter speed (500 and above if poss), and if necessary stop down a quarter to half a step - its the +/- button, if it's still washed out. You could also change the metering to 'spot metering' which will take the exposure from the subject its pointed on - so if it's on the bright Avos then it will adjust it but could leave the background too dark. Alternatively, put camera down, lift binoculars and enjoy ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back