• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest Building (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
Not an exciting species for some but I watched a pair of Magpies rebuilding their nest this morning and working hard at it,they were.I would like to think spring is in the air but in Aberdeen,we have had snow lying for well over a week now and its another freezer tonight.

Hi Ben
My mum and dad have had Collard Doves building on their satellite dish bracket for the last week with most of it falling on the path much to my mums annoyance. Strange considering that we've had snow on the ground for the past week.

It's a commonly held misconception that birds wait until April to begin nest-building. A lot of birds have been busily pairing up since December and are now settling down to finding and securing nest sites. The larger birds that are less worried about giving away their nest locations have little reason to delay. Small perching birds are understandably more reluctant and wait for a bit of leaf cover.

Some people get very excited every year and start bleating on about global warming being to blame for perfectly natural behaviour. It's far more reliable to look at plants and when they flower in this regard.

Last edited:
Collared doves, woodpigeons etc are well known to nest in pretty much every month of te year. SOme near me sitting on two eggs as we speak.

I seen a female Blackbird collecting nesting material thro- the week, then flying with it into a near by bush.

Noticed House Sparrows getting interested in feathers a few weeks ago in my garden and saw a Mistle Thrush building a nest in a park in Ipswich yesterday, which was really great to see. Spring is on it's way guys!! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back