• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tablet for DSLR (1 Viewer)

claretjohn

Hi, I am considering buying a good value simple tablet for traveling which can view and store RAW images. Might be useful to be able to open internet as well.
Any experiences / recommendations would be appreciated....onus on reasonable price.
Thanks
John

Hallo John

After much deliberation, I opted for a Samsung 10.1 Tab3 which now runs on Android Kitkat. I use RawdroidPro to view my images. This allows me to enlarge the view for carp culling, and to delete images from my CF card. I can also move images from the CF card to an SD card inserted into the tablet. I use an OTG (on the go) dongle (about £3) and a CF card reader (not a multiple card reader) and an SD card reader which fit one at a time into the dongle. I have found this to be the best way to proceed as it does not overtax the power of the tablet. I did try a similar system on an iPad but it did not want to know - this may have been me. Also, you cannot insert an SD card as extra storage into an iPad. I can access the internet, use the tablet for Word, Excel, etc and send emails.

I even have a cheap faux leather case with a silicon keyboard which is very useful.

Being Android, I cannot download the Collins Bird Guide - but that is another story.

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. I was looking at a Samsung Tab E 9.6" today which I was told could view/edit raw files using Photomate R2 but I will have a look at RawdroidPro. Just need to check out the best deals.
Cheers
John

About 6 months ago I purchased my first camera, PANI FZ1000. One of the features being remotely control through an Android/Panasonic Image App on either a smartphone or tablet, of which I had neither. However, this appealed to me; thought I could set the camera on a tripod aligned to a feeder and every so often check the tablet from my easy-chair to view the activity for potential pictures.

Did the research for the ideal tablet with this in mind; more and bigger is always better, saves money from upgrades.

This was about 4 months ago, what I came up with was exactly what Colin purchased and configured; Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 3.

The tablet ran between $400-$500, used or refurbished around $200.

I had no use for a tablet other than my desire to remotely control my camera every so often. So I sat on this for a while ultimately deciding to put it out of my head.

Christmas rolls around and my neighbor gives me a cheap ( $30 ) tablet as a gift; IRULU eXpro 7 inch 8G with an microSD card slot.

Shortly after purchasing my PANI she went out and bought an FZ1000 for herself. We talked about the remote control feature, she liked the idea, I told her it was an expense I didn't needed to incur, she gifted the tablet and asked me to figure it out.

Here's what I found:

The IRULU is a 7 inch screen, Colin's Galaxy is a 10 screen. Bigger is better. They're both google KitKat Androids. They do the regular tablet stuff; camera, email, social media access, wifi, Bluetooth, and so on.

The IRULU is an 8 gig tablet with a microSD slot for external memory.

How it works with IRULU; if you loaded 2 gigs of apps you then have 6 gigs of memory. It takes memory to access the web so it will take that additional memory from the 6 gigs. So at any given time your memory is shrinking. Therefore, at some point this tablet slows to a crawl as the available memory shrinks based upon what's loaded e.g. apps, photos, movies, and such. As well as what apps are running at any given time, experienced by; slow loading web pages, slow touch screen response and freezing but not locking up, for a short period of time.

Stands alone, the IRULU is a slow tablet, in regards to accessing the web for anything. This may have to do with the router speed and not the processor. I don't know, I did not experiment with that. The IRULU is a 1.5G Quad Core compared to the 1.6G Galaxy. Just for reference, 4K video requires a 3.5G processor with an ideal 4G of video memory.

I won't critique my camera and app but loading and running Image App was no problem.

The WiFi range was okay, I also believe it to be a product of the router. However, I was disappointed with the range between the camera WiFi and tablet. That maybe a product of the camera.

The transfer of photos or files is simple; WiFi, load a microSD card, USB, all standard stuff.

The photo images are okay to really nice based upon the photo itself and the angel of viewing the screen. There's some post processing features; color, contrast, cropping. I'm sure the discerning eye will have issues with certain colors, I'm not that far gone.

You won't be able to view RAW photos without a RAW image viewing app. There's plenty out there, you'll need to review and select one to your liking.

Any experiences / recommendations would be appreciated....onus on reasonable price.
Thanks
John

I got a little winded justifying the means.

If it's a daily user you want, on a reasonable price, I'd go with Colin's suggestion. Try to hunt down something acceptable between $200-$500 with lots of memory.

If you're going to use it once every few months, show photos, surf Birdforum while you're in a motel room on a bird outing.....then maybe you could get by with a $30 tablet.

Good Luck my friend.

Last edited:
Thanks SanAngelo, that's given me food for thought and a bit of optimism that I may be able to find something.
My quest so far with certain UK retail outlets for cheaper tablets that can view / edit RAW files has been met with blank stares and the expression of "why can't this guy ask about videos or games "...I thought all youngsters nowadays knew about IT !!.... Some just point to the IPad Pro but at over £500+ I have to ignore them.
Thank again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back