• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 10 (1 Viewer)

just installed windows 10 and now cant scan any files with avg antivirus,i have the paid version and cant find it anywhere,any ideas ?

AVG won't survive the change of operating system. You will need to uninstall it and then reinstall the latest Windows 10 version. There are a myriad of different versions of AVG so make sure you download the paid version of the one you have the licence for. I had to do this on a friends computer and it was a pain in the proverbial to find the right version!

Best of luck!

I've heard that W10 is spyware, that they use your mic and webcam without you knowing. They also make a copy of all your emails, and record all you say to Cortana.

I've heard that W10 is spyware, that they use your mic and webcam without you knowing. They also make a copy of all your emails, and record all you say to Cortana.

I would recommend disabling Cortana and would disable all other functions in "Settings" which give MS overt access to your systems. I'm not enough of an expert to know whether MS can do as you describe, eg activate the camera!

cheers, a

We have 1 windows PC in our house (windows 7), and this pop-up window encouraging the upgrade to windows 10, (which we didn't ask for), coupled with the sudden deteriorating performance of this machine is laughable.
Ask yourself why Microsoft is giving this Operating system away for free, pretty much begging people to upgrade, when previous windows versions could cost upwards of £100?

Our other 5 household PCs have no such problems, and run on free Operating systems. Free, fast, and incredibly reliable, and NOT windows.

You also need to read the T&Cs because they claim the life of your firstborn male child (lucky we had girls) and all your money stored in offshore accounts. if that is not enough, you are also agreeing to vote to stay in the EU and to make, regular, donations to Boris's campaign funds.

Have you noticed that you never see a reflection of Bill Gates in a mirror? Enough said!!!!!!! (written in green ink)

You also need to read the T&Cs because they claim the life of your firstborn male child (lucky we had girls) and all your money stored in offshore accounts. if that is not enough, you are also agreeing to vote to stay in the EU and to make, regular, donations to Boris's campaign funds.

Have you noticed that you never see a reflection of Bill Gates in a mirror? Enough said!!!!!!! (written in green ink)

In the time it took you to construct your hilarious response, I read the Microsoft EULA privacy section and found this:

"When you acquire, install and use the Programme software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage. "

So yes, you can flippantly dismiss, or ridicule someone, (or accusing them of being a fanboy of a rival company is another trick). But why not find out the facts for yourself.

"Imagine if the data they collected about you got into the wrong hands" would be my concern.
(text and writing input would include your online bank account login details.)

Microsoft would be in the clear.. you ticked the box and agreed to it.

There is a piece of news today regarding user "agreements". A group from Norway read out those for one phone. It took 32 hours and the combined length of the texts were more than the length of the new testament. So you actually expect me to have read and remember all the statements?

Another recent story in the news ranked the different organizations that collect data on you, and no, microsoft was not on the top. Google and facebook were the two highest hitters.

Does that mean that I think microsoft are angels? Absolutely not. But some of the statements I responded to just looked over the top.

Niels

Nothing new there then. Systems and downloads have been doing this since the PC Stone Age.

Here is the corresponding clause in Windows 7..

"Microsoft may use the computer information, accelerator information, search suggestions, error reports, and malware reports to improve our software and services".

(I've a feeling the extent of the "search suggestions" would be internet explorer, which was bundled in with W7 at the time.)

There is something new here in Windows 10 isn't there. Quite a bit in fact.

But it's up to you if you want to identify, process, and mitigate this stuff. No one is making you do anything, or preventing you from getting the facts.
Personally, I don't think it should be dismissed so flippantly, which is why I have posted here. But by the same argument it's up to people whether they want to read the facts or dismiss it after reading someone's opinion on the internet.

So it really isn't any of my concern. Plus I have reached my self-imposed "3 post limit" for any subject on here that I feel could drag on for days, so will happily drop out now.

I'm still interested to know why windows10 is free though, and why Microsoft are so keen for everyone to upgrade, even from Windows 7 which is supported until 2020. Last I knew Microsoft made their billions from selling the windows operating system?

Here is the corresponding clause in Windows 7..
[...]
I'm still interested to know why windows10 is free though, and why Microsoft are so keen for everyone to upgrade, even from Windows 7 which is supported until 2020. Last I knew Microsoft made their billions from selling the windows operating system?

It's not really free - here's a short article that explains why... well some of the reasons.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957...e-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs.html

I'm a Linux user (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and...), but for fairness, the link I've posted is actually pro Windows. I'm not anti Microsoft... I'm pro what works best for me ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back