• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 10 (1 Viewer)

The head IT guy in my office says if you're running Windows 7 hang on for a good while to let the bugs iron themselves out. If you're running Windows 8 then click that left-mouse button on the "Upgrade Now!" like your life depends on it.

The head IT guy in my office says if you're running Windows 7 hang on for a good while to let the bugs iron themselves out. If you're running Windows 8 then click that left-mouse button on the "Upgrade Now!" like your life depends on it.

I would wait if my Windows 7 on my brand new notebook was actually working properly. It developed serious problems only two weeks of use. Windows Update was broken, iTunes store broken, many other things using internet broken, many that required the background download service which would not turn on. Even after doing a complete windows 7 factory reset the issues are redeveloping. windows update doesn't actually install updated. They all fail.

I have the feeling that a forced Windows 10 install my be my only choice getting my brand new notebook working right.

Crazyfingers, if it is only two weeks old and not working properly surely you should return it to where you bought it from for them to repair/replace.

Dave

Oh sugar... didn't realise that would happen.

MS nagged me about upgrading, and as I'd heard we could choose when it would happen, i allowed it to go ahead and prepare my laptop for the upgrade.

But when it came to choosing when to do it, I only had a choice of 3 days. At the moment it is set to11pm on the 8th August.

Will I be able to change this at all? I'm really not sure I want to mess about with this laptop just now. At least until I hear that W10 is a lovely system to use and no-one is having any issues with it.

How long does it take to install? I'm often in the middle of stuff at that time.

The message when I started up this morning is that I need to re-start my 'puter for the installation to complete.

Had win10 installed and was advised to reinstall my graphics software. Did this and had nothing but problems since with videos. Wait a while if you can.
Den

Oh sugar... didn't realise that would happen.

MS nagged me about upgrading, and as I'd heard we could choose when it would happen, i allowed it to go ahead and prepare my laptop for the upgrade.

But when it came to choosing when to do it, I only had a choice of 3 days. At the moment it is set to11pm on the 8th August.

Will I be able to change this at all? I'm really not sure I want to mess about with this laptop just now. At least until I hear that W10 is a lovely system to use and no-one is having any issues with it.

How long does it take to install? I'm often in the middle of stuff at that time.

The message when I started up this morning is that I need to re-start my 'puter for the installation to complete.

We had our session this morning, and it took about 2 and a half hours; but then Kaspersky security wouldn't work, even after a reload, so we had to go out & get another anti virus! It seems to be ok now, fingers crossed! Lovely pictures of Pluto seen recently, but getting pc's sorted....!

Thanks Mary.

Two and a half hours!!! Does that mean you can't do anything else while it's happening? That'd be a nightmare for me.

Did you get a chance to delay it when the message popped up to start?

Crazyfingers, if it is only two weeks old and not working properly surely you should return it to where you bought it from for them to repair/replace.

Dave

I got the computer june 18 and it seems to be a windows issue and not a hardware thing. As it is i'm on vacation and the computer has been off the internet almost a week and 4 more days to go. I hope it sorts itself when it's been on the internet a few day when I get back.

right now posting from my tablet using my phone as a hot spot.

Very lengthy download for Windows 10, 2-3 hours, check the privacy conditions - the data sharing is all auto opt-in, all the expected trivial rubbish apps come with but easily deleted, Mail download wiped my draft emails and there's no select all delete function for spam, no issues with saved bookmarks, downloads, documents or photos, took a while to put Bitdefender back in charge (there's a free upgrade for Windows 10 users and check auto downloaded firewall settings) otherwise cannot see any advantage in Windows 10 over 8.1, it is still way less logical and user friendly than XP.

Best wishes,

Now installed W10 on 2 laptops and a PC (prev; W7, W8.1 (or crap as I call it), W7. No problems yet. Agree about Microsoft and the default settings but since they are all doing the same, I cannot see it makes a lot of difference.

Thanks Mary.

Two and a half hours!!! Does that mean you can't do anything else while it's happening? That'd be a nightmare for me.

Did you get a chance to delay it when the message popped up to start?

Sorry for the late reply, Delia. O/h dealt with the change, so I don't know if there was the option to delay it.
This morning I.E. has gone down and won't open no matter what! Look like Windows Edge will be the only means to access the web, but at least it seems to be working.... so far! Hope everyone else is getting sorted ok.

Thanks Mary. Fortunately I am managing to delay the start. At the moment I've moved it to 2am on the 10th. Wonder how long I can keep that going for though LOL.

There are so many good browsers available, it's always good to have more than one available. Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera, Google Chrome. I use Pale Moon as default, but have IE and Google Chrome available if I want them. I don't really like them that much, but they're useful as a back up. Sometimes I like to see what an Opus article looks like in a different browser after I've edited it.

What's really frightening me though, is that when I got this laptop with W8 on it, and plugged a camera card into the slot, it put the pictures on my screen, but I couldn't find where they were on my computer to re-name the file etc. Had to get a friend to work on it to sort me out. Really don't want to be going through that again.

Anyone know if Win 10 is OK with Firefox and Thunderbird? . The progs that interest me most is Adobe CS5, Canon DPP 4 and Excel 2002 - Would I need to re-install or will it just run as normal?

The funny thing about this upgrade for me is that prior to it I was so used to viewing and making small adjustments to photos with MS Office Photo Manager that I had not really looked around at what else was available except for Picassa3, which is so bloated.

I found the free Faststone Image Viewer once I got Win10 and it's so fast. And it actually does a tremendous job at bringing out the colors of the bird when I had to take the photo in much less than optimum lighting. It does all I need except for batch resizing - or maybe it does and I haven't found it yet. It will individually resize.

5 seconds of work adjusting this photo. Before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0192a.JPG
    IMG_0192a.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi Roy
I run both Firefox and Thunderbird and i didn't have to re-install them and no problems.
Stan.
Thanks Stan :t: I ran the Win 10 update this morning and it all went fine. All my hardware (scanner, printer...) and software including CS5, DPP 4 (and v3) plus office 2002 all work with no problems. Firefox and Thunderbird also running fine (I elected not to default to 'Edge' during the set-up).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back