• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (3 Viewers)

Ed this is the "no fly zone" page I mentioned
cheers Colleen

that's a really good page

the Waxwing pic nudges forward with some of those things in mind: it was very tempting to play it safe with just a few understated berries, but the bush was laden so I have given it a full dose of measles

the berries still look a bit spotty and individual where they should be in clumps, so some softening of outlines and toning down to come

then if it hasn't gone disastrously wrong, some birds

Attachments

• q9 550 preberries DSC_2239 copy.jpg
    q9 550 preberries DSC_2239 copy.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 44
  • q9 550 berries DSC_2251.jpg
    q9 550 berries DSC_2251.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 66
Really lovely piece this Ed - barely needs the birds. Do them, though.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start putting the birds in on this piece. I'd be tempted to call it finished. Can't wait to see the next stage now, this is going to be eductional.

I wouldn't have a clue where to start putting the birds in on this piece. I'd be tempted to call it finished. Can't wait to see the next stage now, this is going to be eductional.

the waxwings are supposed to go in as per the feltypen drawing up-thread a little, but whether it will work as planned we shall see, now the pic is all berried up

in answer to Gretchen's kind comment, I think the camera has sharpened up the berries a bit- they were done pretty quickly (a couple of hours absolute max) and not meant to look much like blobs of bubblegum stuck to the picture

it's tempting to simply copy Tim's little group of waxwings instead as he seems to have the right number in the right arrangement, but that would be poor form

hello all- another one for the currently hyperactive waxwing sub-forum

had a stab at locating the birds in the pic and getting the tones right: the pic was meant to be concentrated around the bird with a spread wing in the sketch, but I decided I hadn't really left enough dead ground in the background to squeeze that in, wing and all

so now it should be more about the progress of the static birds top right to the gorgers bottom left, hopefully all of them to be broken up and connect up more via the branches, once the yellow and red markings go in

Attachments

• q9 550 waxwngs DSC_2263.jpg
    q9 550 waxwngs DSC_2263.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 66
Bloody wonderful Ed, but bearing in mind I've been down the pub to watch the footy, I think the dark area to the right could do with a waxer, perhaps even two in the shade, lead the eye in....

Could of course be talking complete (fill in your own bit here! ;):eek!:).

You know when you've got one right - so you'll already be well aware that this is an absolute steamer. You've kept a wonderful harmony through the painting, and the rythym of the branches flows nicely with the position of the birds.
Exquisite.

Bloody wonderful Ed, but bearing in mind I've been down the pub to watch the footy, I think the dark area to the right could do with a waxer, perhaps even two in the shade, lead the eye in....

Could of course be talking complete (fill in your own bit here! ;):eek!:).

what heartening reaction from all

Ad's right that there's a bit of an empty quarter, I was worried that further bird down there might leave me with a four cornered arrangment (like the five-spot on a dice if that makes sense..)

so the void might be fixable instead by adding some punctation in the form of coupla clumps of foreground berries over it: I will get done elsewhere and then we might have look at that on the computah

I think softly softly Ed as you suspect. Once you put in the beautiful ornamentals, the yellow and white on the wings, there's going to be more to draw the eye, in a way, punctuation in itself I guess.

It is a stunner!

I've been fortunate to have a lot around recently, and never tire of them, always evoking excitement! Amazes me, how many can actually remain hidden tucked in out the way, you think you've got nine in a bush and twelve fly out.

Last edited:
Wonderful piece, Ed! Though the time of year is different, the feeling of the flock here is very familiar to me - when our three Serviceberry trees ripen, the waxwings materialize out of nowhere and make quick work of the fruit despite the best efforts of a few other species to successfully compete. Well done!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back