• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset, young bird (1 Viewer)

pp53

Young bird, thought it might of been willow warbler, but doesn't look right.

Attachments

• YoungWW.jpg
    YoungWW.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 91
Valéry, Mark,

As much as I respect your opinion, I wonder how you guys can rule out Chiffchaff so confidently?

I think we can all agree on the fact that the bird is a fresh juvenile (downy plumage) and I would perhaps expect a neater face pattern on a juv Willow (stronger supercilium for example) ?
The legs on the other hand are perhaps a tad too pale for CC.

I wouldn't mind seeing more images, especially an image showing the wing structure.

A very similar-looking juv CC (scroll down): http://www.mbaker.co.uk/local bird gallery/CHIFFCHAFF GALLERY PAGE.htm

I'm far to be confident at 100%... I think I'm never on a photo of a young Phylloscopus. I just wonder what is wrong for WW. If photographer IDed it as WW in the field, this photo is not showing anything to change this conclusion IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back