• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (1 Viewer)

You have to see these together and hold them in your hand.

They are close to the same height but it ends there because of the design of their hinges. They also have much larger eye cups which I prefer over the ones on the 8x25. I'd carry them around with me more often if the 8x25 wasn't so much more convenient in that respect.

Fully closed the 8x30 is 4 inches wide between the strap lugs. The 8x25 fully closed is 2.5" wide. The 8x30 is also 3/4 of an inch thicker top to bottom than the 8x25 is because the 8x30 has a much larger focus wheel which is the same size found on most 8x32 binoculars.

In fact, if you compare the 8x30 with 2 of the 3 new Opticron 8x32 binoculars you will find that a couple of them might be even smaller than the 8x30CL. Eagle Optics now has Opticron in stock as new items and you can review them there. They are inexpensive and likely not as good overall but may meet your criteria otherwise.

Bob

I'm not criticizing the 8x25 CL's at all. If I didn't already have my Ultravid 8x20's I would have a pair of these instead. Even a little bit of improvement makes a big difference in the mini category. I looked into the Nikon Monarch 7 and from the threads I read it seemed that some people thought they might be good enough for some, but not others. As picky as I am about optics, I know which side I would fall on. For now, the 8x30 CL is really the only option I see for what I want, which is an optically fine and user friendly binocular in a portable and not too expensive package.

Last edited:
I am, as expressed on other threads, a fan of the 10x25 CL-P. I think it is a splendid binocular with outstanding optics and excellent ergonomics and ease-of-use. I think it is a superb compromise; giving true pocket-ability with an eminently real-world usability. It simply performs outstandingly in most real-world nature viewing applications and can be easily carried anywhere at any time.

The same is not true, in my experience, of the 10x30 CL companion which has too short an eye placement and is poor at controlling errant light.

Caesar,

From your picture it looks like the 8x30 is the height of an eye cup taller than the 8x25, and perhaps 30% wider in the middle, not a huge difference in my eyes, especially when compared to most 32 mm binoculars in this price range. I could fit them both into a jacket pocket.
Compared to the minis, the 8x30 CL is only a few hundred dollars more, and if you own the 8x25 you know how much brighter the 8x30 is. The only binocular you name that can compete in my eyes (and remember SIZE is very important in this category) is the Nikon Monarch 7, which I have never heard compared optically to the Swaros, but if they are close enough I would definitely consider them.
Forget the Monarch 7 8x30. It is not the optical equal of either the Swarovski 8x30 CL or even the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. Remember both the Swaro's are twice the price of the Nikon though. I have had them all. I returned the Monarch 7 and kept the Swaro CL-P 8x25.

Last edited:
You have to see these together and hold them in your hand.

They are close to the same height but it ends there because of the design of their hinges. They also have much larger eye cups which I prefer over the ones on the 8x25. I'd carry them around with me more often if the 8x25 wasn't so much more convenient in that respect.

Fully closed the 8x30 is 4 inches wide between the strap lugs. The 8x25 fully closed is 2.5" wide. The 8x30 is also 3/4 of an inch thicker top to bottom than the 8x25 is because the 8x30 has a much larger focus wheel which is the same size found on most 8x32 binoculars.

In fact, if you compare the 8x30 with 2 of the 3 new Opticron 8x32 binoculars you will find that a couple of them might be even smaller than the 8x30CL. Eagle Optics now has Opticron in stock as new items and you can review them there. They are inexpensive and likely not as good overall but may meet your criteria otherwise.

Bob
Forget the Opticron's. I have had several of their small 8x32's and they are nowhere near the optical quality of the Swaro's. Take my word for it. It is HARD to beat Swarovski optically. That's why they cost so darn much money. You get what you pay for no matter what Frank says. HaHa!

This weekend I went to Cabela's again for one last look through the 8x25's - I had pretty much talked myself into buying a pair to have on those occasions when a mini isn't enough, and an alpha is too much (when biking, for example). As an afterthought I decided to look through an 8x30 CL as well. Bad idea. The 8x30 is much more comfortable to use, and not just a little, but significantly brighter, something I didn't expect with a mere 5mm of extra glass. And with it's compact size and middle of the road styling it would still fit innocuously under my arm without drawing too much attention to itself. It could even fit into a jacket pocket if I wanted to keep it hidden.
It's hard for me to justify buying an 8x25 binocular that is a little brighter and easier to use than my Ultravid minis, when for $175 more I can have a binocular that takes useability to a whole new level. The large focus knob alone is worth the extra cost. Swarovski stresses the portability of the 8x30's, and I believe that was their main focus when they were designing it. With these two CL's they have created a new binocular niche combining portability and performance, and I don't see a whole lot of competition from other manufacturers. And in this category, the 8x30 CL rules. People can quibble about the field of view and the optical quality versus a binocular that is more than twice as expensive, but compared to the minis it should more properly be compared to, the 8x30's win hands down.

That is exactly why Swarovski makes the 8x25, 8x30 and the 8x32. As you step up in aperture you get more comfort because of the easier eye placement but I doubt the 8x30 CL's are a lot brighter than the 8x25 CL-P's during daylight viewing because my 8x32 Swarovision's are not a lot brighter than my 8x25 CL-P's. Your eye simply can not dilate enough to notice any difference in brightness in daylight. The brightness is in your mind Closefocus. The 8x25 CL-P's are in a whole other class than 8x30 CL's,as far as, compactness. I don't see that the 8x30 CL's offer a great advantage over my 8x32 Swarovision's in size, whereas, the 8x25 CL-P's do. The CL-P's will fit in your pocket. Like Crinklystarfish I find the 8x25 Cl-P's superior optically to the 8x30 CL's especially in glare control and edge sharpness. The 8x25 CL-P is Swarovision like sharp to the edge.

That is exactly why Swarovski makes the 8x25, 8x30 and the 8x32. As you step up in aperture you get more comfort because of the easier eye placement but I doubt the 8x30 CL's are a lot brighter than the 8x25 CL-P's during daylight viewing because my 8x32 Swarovision's are not a lot brighter than my 8x25 CL-P's. Your eye simply can not dilate enough to notice any difference in brightness in daylight. The brightness is in your mind Closefocus. The 8x25 CL-P's are in a whole other class than 8x30 CL's,as far as, compactness. I don't see that the 8x30 CL's offer a great advantage over my 8x32 Swarovision's in size, whereas, the 8x25 CL-P's do. The CL-P's will fit in your pocket. Like Crinklystarfish I find the 8x25 Cl-P's superior optically to the 8x30 CL's especially in glare control and edge sharpness. The 8x25 CL-P is Swarovision like sharp to the edge.

You are mistaking my analysis for criticism. The 8x25 CL is a great binocular, and really makes other 8x20's obsolete in terms of performance.
The one advantage of an 8x20 is it's size - they can fit in a shirt pocket. But if there is a shirt that can comfortably accommodate an 8x20 without sagging halfway to the beltline, I haven't seen it.

The 8x30 CL is brighter than the 8x25 - my in store test showed that clearly. In daylight it won't be an issue, but even my 8x20 performs well in terms of image brightness on a sunny day. Only on a cloudy day or other dim conditions would it be noticeable.

The 8x25 may actually perform slightly better optically than the 8x30 - my in store test showed it to be a sharp performer, and I doubt that the 8x30 will show any more detail in terms of resolution. The 8x30 has the advantage in the size of its focus wheel and the brightness of its image, two criteria I judge important because most of the situations I will be using it will involve trying to spot fast moving birds in dense and shadowy undergrowth.

I also noted that the eye lens of the 8x25 appeared to be the same size as that in the 8x30, a definite mark in the 8x25 column. My micrometer shows my 8x20 Ultravid as having a 17mm eye lens. I'm curios how the CL's compare.

There will be some functional overlap in these two binoculars, with the 8x25 having the obvious edge of being more portable. When deciding between one or the other I weighed the qualities I deemed most important for the conditions I would be using the binocular. For me the 8x30 won, but that's not saying that I won't ever have an 8x25, because I probably will.

You are mistaking my analysis for criticism. The 8x25 CL is a great binocular, and really makes other 8x20's obsolete in terms of performance.
The one advantage of an 8x20 is it's size - they can fit in a shirt pocket. But if there is a shirt that can comfortably accommodate an 8x20 without sagging halfway to the beltline, I haven't seen it.

The 8x30 CL is brighter than the 8x25 - my in store test showed that clearly. In daylight it won't be an issue, but even my 8x20 performs well in terms of image brightness on a sunny day. Only on a cloudy day or other dim conditions would it be noticeable.

The 8x25 may actually perform slightly better optically than the 8x30 - my in store test showed it to be a sharp performer, and I doubt that the 8x30 will show any more detail in terms of resolution. The 8x30 has the advantage in the size of its focus wheel and the brightness of its image, two criteria I judge important because most of the situations I will be using it will involve trying to spot fast moving birds in dense and shadowy undergrowth.

I also noted that the eye lens of the 8x25 appeared to be the same size as that in the 8x30, a definite mark in the 8x25 column. My micrometer shows my 8x20 Ultravid as having a 17mm eye lens. I'm curios how the CL's compare.

There will be some functional overlap in these two binoculars, with the 8x25 having the obvious edge of being more portable. When deciding between one or the other I weighed the qualities I deemed most important for the conditions I would be using the binocular. For me the 8x30 won, but that's not saying that I won't ever have an 8x25, because I probably will.
How do you feel the Swaro 8x30 CL's perform in errant light handling?

I'll let you know. I pick them up tomorrow.

Congrats CF on your new purchase of a very nice handy binocular.
I had the CL for almost a year and liked it very much. The only
reason I sold it was b/c I desired close focus in my portable bin.

The CL has a nice image. It has good resolution IMO and is very
bright for a 30mm. I too was pleasantly surprised at just how bright it is.
It has great ergonomics ( the best in this area out of all the bins I've ever owned) , is small and handy.
I'm starting to miss it again. Enjoy !

Last edited:

It has great ergonomics ( the best in this area out of all the bins I've ever owned) , is small and handy.

Thanks. I got my box from UPS this morning only two days after ordering from Eagle Optics, which is good, because I like my gratification instant if possible, but two days is better than ten days.

I was initially worried that they had sent me a pair of minis by mistake, because the box felt almost empty, but they were in there. They really are surprisingly light and compact.

So far the optics look good, but I haven't had a chance to really test them. We're having a mini blizzard right now, so until the sun comes out I'm just going to admire them next to my keyboard, where I notice they are as tall as and slightly wider than my medium cup of coffee.

Thanks. I got my box from UPS this morning only two days after ordering from Eagle Optics, which is good, because I like my gratification instant if possible, but two days is better than ten days.

I was initially worried that they had sent me a pair of minis by mistake, because the box felt almost empty, but they were in there. They really are surprisingly light and compact.

So far the optics look good, but I haven't had a chance to really test them. We're having a mini blizzard right now, so until the sun comes out I'm just going to admire them next to my keyboard, where I notice they are as tall as and slightly wider than my medium cup of coffee.

that's great ! take care in the blizzard and don't spill any coffee :eek!:...keep that rainguard on. ;)

Last edited:
Forget the Monarch 7 8x30. It is not the optical equal of either the Swarovski 8x30 CL or even the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. Remember both the Swaro's are twice the price of the Nikon though. I have had them all. I returned the Monarch 7 and kept the Swaro CL-P 8x25.

Dennis,
Which bin(s) have you ownef for a two year period or longer?

Is the answer - zero of them?

CG

Dennis,
Which bin(s) have you ownef for a two year period or longer?

Is the answer - zero of them?

CG
You don't need binoculars for two years to tell they are not for you. How long does Frank keep his budget busters? I don't think he even owns his Bresser Everest's 8x42 ED anymore. I had two pairs of the Bresser's and the eyecups fell off on one and I sold the other pair and the buyer e-mailed me that the optics were all screwed up and he had to send them into the factory and they exchanged them. Enough aggravation for me. I do have the Vanguard Endeavor 8x42 HD for my car binocular and they have held up better than any of Franks "Baby's" and the focus is easy unlike his Blue Sky II 8x32 and the optics are better on them. I would recommend them for a cheap binocular. The Swaro 8x32 Swarovision is still the "Best All Around Birding Binocular" made and the Swaro 8x25 CL-P is the best compact made. I have them both.

Last edited:

I have had the Swaro 8x30 CL TWICE because I like the ergonomics and the size SO much. They are the cutest darn binocular ever made but the restrictive FOV always killed it for me. The Swaro CL-P 8x25 has about the same size FOV as the CL-30's BUT they have the Swarovision sharpness RIGHT to the edge so the FOV doesn't feel as small because the sweet spot is bigger. That makes all the difference for me in these two.

Dennis,

Almost all high quality compact binoculars are sharp to the edge. I have the 8x25 CLP, Leica Trinovid 8x20, Zeiss Victory 8x20, Nikon 10x25 LX L and Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26. They are all sharp to the edge.

I also have (or my wife has) the Swarovski 8x30 CL. It has a very large "sweet spot" almost to the edge of the view. (I just confirmed that by checking it.) The reason it's FOV seems to be restrictive is because one instinctively compares it with the typical 400' plus FOVs of high quality 8x32 binoculars.

Bob

Dennis,

Almost all high quality compact binoculars are sharp to the edge. I have the 8x25 CLP, Leica Trinovid 8x20, Zeiss Victory 8x20, Nikon 10x25 LX L and Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26. They are all sharp to the edge.

I also have (or my wife has) the Swarovski 8x30 CL. It has a very large "sweet spot" almost to the edge of the view. (I just confirmed that by checking it.) The reason it's FOV seems to be restrictive is because one instinctively compares it with the typical 400' plus FOVs of high quality 8x32 binoculars.

Bob
The Leica Trinovid 8x20, Zeiss Victory 8x20, Nikon 10x25 LX L and Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26 do not have the flat field and absolute sharpness to the edge like the Swaro 8x25 does and I have had them all. Of all of those the Nikon comes the closest. The Busnell 7x26 for me was very blurry at the edge. The Swaro 8x30 CL is not sharp RIGHT to the edge like CL-P and that still is part of the reason it seems restrictive. When I compare my Swaro 8x32 to my 8x25 CL-P I don't notice the dramatic differnce in FOV that I did with the 8x30 CL.

I also have (or my wife has) the Swarovski 8x30 CL. It has a very large "sweet spot" almost to the edge of the view. (I just confirmed that by checking it.)

Bob

I noticed the same with my CL. Isn't it the case (in bins with no field flatteners) that bins with narrow
FOV will be sharper out towards the edges than bins with wide FOV
due to the ocular design differences between the two? I thought I read about this
here on the forum recently.

The Leica Trinovid 8x20, Zeiss Victory 8x20, Nikon 10x25 LX L and Bushnell Custom Classic 7x26 do not have the flat field and absolute sharpness to the edge like the Swaro 8x25 does and I have had them all. Of all of those the Nikon comes the closest. The Busnell 7x26 for me was very blurry at the edge. The Swaro 8x30 CL is not sharp RIGHT to the edge like CL-P and that still is part of the reason it seems restrictive. When I compare my Swaro 8x32 to my 8x25 CL-P I don't notice the dramatic differnce in FOV that I did with the 8x30 CL.

Dennis,

They are all sharp close enough to their edges for me and you will note that I did not say any of them have flat fields. You will also note that I still have mine and did not dump them after using them for a week like you do so I am not commenting from memory.

Now, where in Swarovski's literature does it say that the CLs have "flat fields?" I'm not going to look it up to see if they do say that. This is your problem because you are the one stating it has a "flat field" like the Swarovisons do. The CL Pocket is a CL just like the CL Companion is one. The 8x30 CL Companion has a FOV of 7.2º and the 8x25 CL Pocket has a FOV of 6.8º.

It's time for you to put up or shut up on this matter. Just because it looks to you like it has a flat field does not mean it has one.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back