• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL SV 12x59 eye relief (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I estimate I need another 3mm of available eye relief on these bins when using my specs with a 1mm thick O ring to protect them.

Could I add to each eyepiece a lens, presumably concave, to provide this and, if so, what strength should I buy taking into account the additional lens thickness?

I propose buying inexpensive plastic lenses to try first.

Thanks

Last edited:
I predict that trying to add a lens will not work at all. The entire optical design
will be compromised.

As a recent post mentioned a closer fitting eyeglass style, would be recommended.
Maybe you are ready for an optical exam.

If you can budget a Swarovski, you can handle getting eyeglasses that will work.

Good luck.

Jerry

I estimate I need another 3mm of available eye relief on these bins when using my specs with a 1mm thick O ring to protect them.

Could I add to each eyepiece a lens, presumably concave, to provide this and, if so, what strength should I buy taking into account the additional lens thickness?

Thanks

Maybe a silly question, but are you viewing with the EL 12x50 SV (while using spectacles), with the eye cups all the way In (or down)?

I predict that trying to add a lens will not work at all. The entire optical design
will be compromised.

As a recent post mentioned a closer fitting eyeglass style, would be recommended.
Maybe you are ready for an optical exam.

If you can budget a Swarovski, you can handle getting eyeglasses that will work.

Good luck.

Jerry

I have newer, closer fitting specs following a recent eye exam."

I don't understand why so much of the ER is lost (when using glasses) due to the SV eye cup design. I think Swaro should provide alternative shallower eye cups, like they do for the ATX scopes.

I suspect because Swaro made a judgment that the looks of the design outweighed the worth of the extra cost of a change of design, or the lawyers got in on the act somehow.

I think there is no chance of the company changing its mind now.

I recently bought a late model Zeiss 7x42 diayt classic which had inadequate eye relief for me, but the eyecups were removable but I was able to resolve the ER isue with two oil seals and two O rings. Lovely bins now.

Thanks

A lens like this would be an optical disaster. If you have somehow got a 1mm o-ring in place between your specs and the eyepiece top lens, why not try an o-ring with thicker cross section? You could try incrementally thicker o-rings rather than going straight to the biggest. There are certainly 4mm and 5mm section o-rings available.

Lee

Specs on, rotated all the way down.

TW,

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke, but if I understand your issue, here is my possible solution:

If your 12X50SV eye piece looks like the one from my 10X50SV (EP# 44118-see attached pic), then I have measured 3mm of rubber on top the outer metal eye tube. If you were to obtain OEM replacement eye cups from Swarovski (like THESE), 2mm of the glued-on eye cup rubber could be carefully removed and the eye cups reinstalled, hopefully with a closer "full view with specs", customized just for you!

Slim chance, but ask Swarovski in Absam CS if they would perform this task and sell (or give) you these modified 12X50SV eye pieces...never know for sure until you simply, ask!

Ted

Attachments

• EL 10X50 SV Eye Cup #44118.jpg
    EL 10X50 SV Eye Cup #44118.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 30
Theo98

AFIK, the eyecups for EL SV 8.5x42, 10x42, 10x50 and 12x50 are all the same.

Awhile ago I replaced those on my 8.5s and have kept the originals, hoping that I could do as you suggested but the rim of the metal eyepiece extends into a groove in the rubber eyecup leaving only about 1mm of usable thickness - too small for me reliably to trim down.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks

TW,

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke, but if I understand your issue, here is my possible solution:

If your 12X50SV eye piece looks like the one from my 10X50SV (EP# 44118-see attached pic), then I have measured 3mm of rubber on top the outer metal eye tube. If you were to obtain OEM replacement eye cups from Swarovski (like THESE), 2mm of the glued-on eye cup rubber could be carefully removed and the eye cups reinstalled, hopefully with a closer "full view with specs", customized just for you!

Slim chance, but ask Swarovski in Absam CS if they would perform this task and sell (or give) you these modified 12X50SV eye pieces...never know for sure until you simply, ask!

Ted
Swarovski should offer eyecups that allow eyeglass wearers a better FOV. I noticed the same thing with Leica. The Trinovid eyecup edge was closer to the lens than the "new and improved" Ultravid eyecup. The Ultravid was softer but further from the lens...thus reducing effective FOV for those of us with eyeglasses.

With the Zeiss SF I have to use the first position on the eyecup...that's how generous the eye relief is. And, it's addictive!

Same with me too.

Lee
I've had my 8.5X42 SV for awhile but if the black SF had been available at the same time, in the same store, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with the SF. I was sorely tempted by the Nikon 7X42 EDG for the same reason...a walk-in view while wearing eyeglasses! As they say, there's always room for improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back