• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

No new birds for the year in Missouri, but today I did have a couple of unusual birds show up at Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri. Upland Sandpiper (probably a migrating juvenile) and a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (I do not expect these in my local areas around Saint Joseph).

Shorebirds are starting to move through, so things should pick up a little bit. I saw four species and heard a fifth. One of them was new for the year, and a state lifer as well.

214. Stilt Sandpiper

Dave

Texas is experiencing major flooding due to all the rain, while here in Missouri we are having a severe drought! Really odd weather patterns in the states this year!

* No new year birds for Missouri for me for quite some time now!

It really is the opposite of last year, when at one point 98% of Texas was in "exceptional drought".

We're off to sw Utah (inc. Zion NP) on Sunday. They're in severe drought over there so I don't know if we'll see a lot of birds. California Condor would be nice!

Jeff

Just did the count of my weekend outings during my recent Nicaragua worktrip, which brings my yearlist to 501. Best year count ever for me!

One new shorebird for the year, so I'm now up to 215 for the year. It was also a West Virginia state lifer (number 177).

215. Pectoral Sandpiper

Dave

I record sixteen (16) species of shorebirds today, but none were "new" for my 2012 Missouri List. Especially nice, I thought, were the Ruddy Turnstone in bright alternate plumage (Lake Contrary), Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Horseshoe Lake) and American Avocet (one at Lake Contrary and another at Horseshoe Lake).

Every time I bird outside of Texas, I am surprised by how hard I have to work to find birds. This is particularly true when I go to mountainous areas. So I saw comparatively few birds in the mountains of southwest Utah, given how many hours I birded.

No condors, no eagles, only two hawks (Red-tailed) but a great sighting of a juvenile Prairie Falcon screaming constantly as it followed its parents.

Woodpeckers were particularly scarce, perhaps because so many trees had been killed by some sort of beetle. I saw just two Hairy WPs and 4 Northern Flickers.

298 Mountain Bluebird
299 Townsend’s Solitaire
300 Bushtit
301 Pine Siskin
302 Phainopepla (Photo below)
303 Gambel’s Quail
304 Western Wood-Pewee
305 Prairie Falcon (Lifer)
306 Wild Turkey
307 White-throated Swift (Lifer)
308 Cordilleran Flycatcher
309 Mountain Chickadee
310 Black-capped Chickadee
311 Cassin’s Finch
312 Canyon Wren
313 Green-tailed Towhee
314 Hairy Woodpecker

Jeff

Attachments

• phainopepla.jpg
    phainopepla.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Two more birds for my 2012 Missouri Year List:

July 28th
245. Black-crowned Night-Heron, Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri

July 30th
246. Sedge Wren, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

Another addition yesterday.

CB

Was the new addition a "CB" or "something else"? ;)

Let's see, what would a "CB" be? Crested Cuckoo-Dove, Cape Bulbul, Ceylon Bush-Warbler, Chaplin's Barbet, Chopi Blackbird, Cinereous Becard, Ciri Bunting, Collared Bush-Robin, Common Buzzard, Crested Bobwhite, Cuban Bullfinch, etc. ? ;)

190. Hobby

Should have had that before now, but as I've said before I'm not really carrying on with my UK list this year. Anyway, always good to have a tick of some description on one's birthday!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back