• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Starling
Jay
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Feral Pigeon
Blackbird
Robin
Dunnock
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Blackcap
House Sparrow

Won't they let you out on day release for good behaviour then Jos? ;)

Four more this morning, rain now approaching unfortunately:

22 Wren
23 Fieldfare
24 Great spotted Woodpecker
25 Black Woodpecker

Last edited:
Out of the window so far but;

Herring Gull
Magpie
Redwing
Blackcap

Thought I'd try and do it properly this year, but already not doing so good as not written the birds down as I see them. To keep it simple (!) will do two lists - one for the house were we are renting in town, and one for my patch of land 5 miles out in the country (c. 6 acres). Will leave my parents place in France out of it for now ;)

So - Falmouth Town-

1 Herring Gull
2 Magpie
3 Redwing
4 Blackcap
5 Great Tit
6 Chaffinch
7 Starling
8 Song Thrush
9 Blue Tit
10 Blackbird

Last edited:
... and Country 2/2/14

1 Robin
2 Bullfinch
3 Carrion Crow
4 Chiffchaff
5 Goldcrest
6 Rook
7 Song Thrush
8 Redwing
9 Wren
10 House Sparrow

Haven't got much of a 2015 list yet but first new species (#101) for the house list this year was a nice Golden Eagle on 02 January.

This is the common eagle here- this picture was taken from my terrace 23 December last year

Attachments

• WT_Eagle_7561_880.jpg
    WT_Eagle_7561_880.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 81
9. American Crow
10. House Finch
11. Bush Tits
12. Cooper's Hawk
13. Two Canada Geese flying over

Haven't got much of a 2015 list yet but first new species (#101) for the house list this year was a nice Golden Eagle on 02 January.

This is the common eagle here- this picture was taken from my terrace 23 December last year

Oof, that's 'close up and personal', lovely photo Julian. I would scan for Golden Eagle from our balcony, but we're sitting in thick cloud, so my two additions this morning are both heard onlys:

26 Siskin
27 Mistle Thrush

The first Mistle Thrush song I've heard since last Spring, Wrens are also starting their song too.

Hi all Garden Listers.........here we go again!

And maybe we should tell something to our yards...
Our yard is in Kotka - South-East Finland and is typical Finnish suburban garden. It has a size of just under 1,000 square meter (m2) and it grows apple and plum trees, and one huge pine. In wintertime I feed birds mostly with sunflower seeds, peanuts and fat.

Good idea Wari. We did this a couple of years ago but a timely reminder to do it again. My garden is in rural East Sussex about 12 miles as the crow flies inland from Beachy Head. I'm on a migration route and can boast some scarce migrants but my list is low on waders. Total garden list is 116 with the highest annual total of 81 last year.

I get to join this year!B :)

Happy new year ,

I've joined Garden list 2015.

Welcome to you both.:king:

I'm on 29 so far:

Mallard
Pheasant
Common Buzzard
Kestrel
Herring Gull
Feral Pigeon
Collared Dove
Wood Pigeon
Tawny Owl
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Wren
Starling
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Robin
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch

Mine's a tiny garden with two trees and a feeder, but I overlook a small valley that runs up to the Pennine moors on the West Yorkshire - Derbyshire border. I'm right in the middle of the country (ie England) - coasts are hours away - and there's no wetland to speak of for many miles. Also I'm at 200 mtrs above sea level.

Three new species today

Wren, Cormorant & Jay:

33 - that's unless I count feral pigeon!

Last edited:
Our garden sounds a bit like Wari's in Finland, also c1000sq.metres with fruit trees, veg garden and clump of reeds around a tiny pond. But we're much higher up, on a small plateau at 1,100metres asl. Looking north we can see Lac Léman 25kms away, so too far to see the ducks, waders and birds using the main migration route down the Rhone. The land around is a mixture of summer grazing pasture and mixed woodland, south of us the land continues to rise, through pine and beech forests to the mountain called Sous-Dine, which is at 2,001m, that's how I get Alpine Chough on my Garden List each year :t: Total garden list is just short of Joanne's at 112.
I was being a good son and making my weekly 'phone call to my Mum today when 3 new birds for the year appeared, hopefully she didn't notice my lack of attention to the call too much as I struggled to hold telephone and binoculars at the same time (though she did say 'are you still there?' twice which suggests she suspected I was up to something!).

28 Sparowhawk
29 Hawfinch
30 Dunnock

I'll have to ring her more often ;)

Three more for town (all still out the window) -

11 Black Redstart - (the female from a week or two back still in the area then)
12 Jackdaw - a pair flying over
13 Greenfinch - a flock of 17 flying around. Garden tick (current location)

I was being a good son and making my weekly 'phone call to my Mum today when 3 new birds for the year appeared, hopefully she didn't notice my lack of attention to the call too much as I struggled to hold telephone and binoculars at the same time (though she did say 'are you still there?' twice which suggests she suspected I was up to something!).

28 Sparowhawk
29 Hawfinch
30 Dunnock

I'll have to ring her more often ;)
:-O I've had similar 'conversations'. We are a bad bunch.

Mine's a relatively small garden c 20m x 10, however it's mainly Ivy, holly, hawthorn, sallow with a couple of 8-10 m.conifers. (almost a permanent roost tree for Tawny Owl). Lying approx.10 miles from St.Paul's ,c70m above sea level, and adjacent to Epping forest (almost entirely deciduous). This is now my 32nd year at this address with my current list standing at 127, plus a couple of potential splits for the future.
My bugbear bird is Honey Buzzard, still haven't seen one, although last year I had almost 50 sightings of CBuzzard! perhaps one day. Last year I was 8 species down on 2013, with House Sparrow being one of them, however Raven, Turtle Dove putative Desert Lesser Whitethroat, and Tristis Chiff Chaff not to mention what I would call 2 Sub-Arctic Redpolls more than compensated.

My list so far in 2015 is....Com.Buzzard, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Shoveller, Canada Goose, Mallard, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Green Woodpecker, Greenfinch and the 5 Gull species (all flyovers). In the garden Tawny Owl, Grt.Spot.Wdpkr.,Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-Tail Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Goldcrest, Lesser Redpoll, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Redwing, Song Thrush, Blackbird, and RNParakeet....and still no Sprawk or even more ridiculous no Jay yet!...make it 34 going to "press"....just remembered flyover Collared Dove and Feral Pigeon that should be corrected to 36! Half way already ;)

I keep meaning to get involved each year so here goes for 2015.

My garden is by the sea with various rough and not so rough grassy areas in it. It has a number of shrubs a few smallish trees and some veg and flower beds.

Last year my list was 94 species, so hoping for 100+ this year. I include birds seen from the garden so much of my list will be seabirds.

I was away for the beginning of the year so only started yesterday. Total so far is 30 species with the highlight being White-billed Diver (an annually returning bird). Others include Slavonian Grebe, Long-tailed Duck and Red-throated Diver.

Barrie

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back