• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storm-Petrels Quiz™ 2.0 (1 Viewer)

Answer to Quiz #1

Okay yall, its the moment we've all been waiting for!!! The answer to which species of bird this is and who got it right, who got it wrong, and how many points everyone got.

As for this bird, all of us guessed a Hummingbird species, and it is obviously one. 8-P Now, which species? The major field mark is the buffy/rufous coloration of the underside. There are a number of species with this color, but also a number that do not. We can eliminate these species: Green Violet-ear, Green-breasted Mango, Buff-bellied and Berylline Hummingbirds (The BE and BB hummers have buffish cream undertail coverts and lower belly, but it doesn't reach up very far), Violet-crowned Hummingbird, Broad-billed Hummingbird, White-eared Hummingbird, Blue-throated Hummingbird, Magnificent Hummingbird, Plain-capped Starthroat, Costas Hummingbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and Annas Hummingbird. None of these were guessed except for Anna's Hummingbird. The remaining species:
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Allens Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird
Xantus's Hummingbird
Bahama Woodstar
Lucifer Hummingbird

First off, we can eliminate Lucifer Hummingbird, for the bill is not curved enough. Also because of shape and head and tail patterning we can eliminate Xantus's Hummingbird. Lets focus on the tail now.;) There is some rufous on the outer edge, and it is long and thick. We can remove Bahama Woodstar from the list because it has creamish outer tail feathers that trail all the way to the tip of the tail. This leaves a birders nightmare... the Selasphorus and Stellula Hummers!!!:eek!: The tail has a fairly decent amount of rufous and is long, and the body is large with a long tail, and with the overall jizz most of us were convinced that this is not a Calliope Hummingbird. This just leaves the Selasphorus. This birds rufous extends halfway down the tail-side, and isnt very "thin" or "tapered" or long tailed. Also the eye-line is more white than cream colored. Compared to the head, the bill isn't as long as it would be in the Allens/Rufous, so with these three things, it leaves the Broad-tailed Hummingbird. Congratulations to all who got it and those who didn't will always have next time.:t:

Actually, this is kind of wierd... You'll see what I mean right below...

Participants who got it correct:
Prairiemerlin, a.k.a Neil

BUT, lots of people got points for getting bonus's right!o:D
Here are all the points:

Audubob- 1/2 point, guessed sex
Bebirder- 1 point, guessed bonus sex and plumage
Larry Lade- 1 point, guessed bonus sex and plumage
Prairiemerlin- 1 point, guessed quizbird correctly

Remember guys, bonus points are an easy way to get up on the points!

Incorrect guesses:
Rufous Hummingbird- 3 times
Anna's Hummingbird- 1 time
Calliope Hummingbird- 1 time
Allens Hummingbird- 1 time
Lucifer Hummingbird- 1 time
Xantus's Hummingbird- 1 time

Thanks for playing everyone, and the new quiz photo is coming soon!

Storm Petrels Quiz #2

Heres the next one! Have fun. I didn't hear from tim on the last weeks quiz... are you still playing?

Attachments

• DSC06821.JPG
    DSC06821.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
sorry for not posting everyone, im in dallas right now and was really busy yesterday babysitting my 4 yr old cousin. but i think its safe to say right now that it is a...:

Greater Roadrunner

anyways a more consice answer on monday, wich is a holiday for me!!! yay-ya!!!!!!

HEADS UP!!!

the answer and next quiz are "downloading" and being organized right now, hang in there another 20 minutes... Thanks everyone for their patience!

Okay, this is a Greater Roadrunner, right? yes, it is! How do we know? The shape, jizz, and well... its in a road... But what most people failed to notice is that there are two of them. There is the obvious one and then one right behind it, less subtle. There is a male and female. Don't worry! I'll still count it right and give you the bonuses if you guessed part of it. these dudes were shot at the Paradise Road right outside Portal and Coronado National Forest, Southeastern Arizona. Here are the scores now:

Larry Lade
Prairiemerlin
Grosbeak sp.
birderbf
tim.birdboy
And everyone who participated got it right!

Points for this weeks photo:
Larry Lade- 2pts, guessed correctly and bonus of saying adult male
Prairemerlin- 1.5pts, guessed correctly and bonus of saying adult
Grosbeaksp- 1pts, guessed correctly
birderbf- 1pts, guessed correctly
tim.birdboy- 1pts, guessed correctly

Total points:
Larry Lade- 3pts
Prairiemerlin-2.5pts
birderbf-1pt
grosbeaksp-1pt
tim.birdboy- 1pt
audubob-0.5pts
bebirder-1pt
Cory H- 0pts
teamsaint-0pts
birdphotography- 0pts
prairiefalcon- 0pts

Larry Lade is in the lead. Remember!!!! BONUS POINTS ARE GOOD!!! ;)

# of quiz photos correct
Prairiemerlin- 2
Larry Lade- 1
Grosbeaksp- 1
birderbf- 1
timbirdboy- 1
prairiefalcon- 0
birdphotography-0
teamsaint- 0
cory h- 0
bebirder- 0
audubob- 0

Prairiemerlin has the lead in this section.

Keep it up everyone! I lost almost half the players on the second quiz! i guess its not as good as the others, but i like it so ill keep it up for the people who are still playing.

Last edited:
Storm Petrels Quiz™ 2.0: #3

Heres the third quiz! enjoy. Heres a hint: if you can't see any patterning, tilt your computer screen at an angle or lighten/darken the screen. Good Luck!

Attachments

• DSC06819.JPG
    DSC06819.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 84
I beleive that there is a glitch in the forum- it says when i try to post an edit that I have less than 5 letters. I have like 200!!! whats wrong with it??? anyways, I forgot about poor corey h!

give him 1pt, he got 1 quiz pic correct, total of 1pts

I beleive that there is a glitch in the forum- it says when i try to post an edit that I have less than 5 letters. I have like 200!!! whats wrong with it??? anyways, I forgot about poor corey h!

give him 1pt, he got 1 quiz pic correct, total of 1pts

Aye, I've seen that too. I believe it means five NEW letters. :t:

Answer to Quiz #3

Okay, this weeks quiz was a little harder than last weeks photo!;) Plus, only four people guessed :-C Oh well, for the people who are still commited to my wonderful quiz, I shall continue it! This weeks bird was mainly a silhouette. There were three species guessed:
Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher
Blackpoll Warbler
American Robin

I think the most noticeable pattern was the large white "moustache" or cheek. This is characteristic of Blackpoll Warblers and Sulphur-bellied FLycatchers. But the tail is quite long compared to Blackpoll warbler and the shape is more chunky, less fat, and longer. The bill is also slightly thicker. So, there goes Blackpoll Warbler. Now theres only the flycatcher and the robin. with silhouettes it can be difficult to tell them apart (obviously) :-O so theres just subtle pattern shapes and some visible patterns. Our mystery bird has a chunky head and long body. Also there si the white "moustache", and slight streaks on the sides. So that leaves Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher!

Birderbf
Prairiemerlin

Points for this weeks photo
Birderbf-1
prairiemerlin-1
Zac Hinchcliffe- 0.5 guessed bonus
Larry Lade-0.5 guessed bonus. (you also guessed female, but I couldnt sex it in the field so i didnt count it)

Total Points:
Larry Lade- 3.5
Audobob- 0.5
bebirder- 1
prairiemerlin- 3.5
timbirdboy- 1
Corey H- 1
birderbf-2
grosbeaksp- 1
Zac Hinchcliffe- 0.5

Prairiemerlin and Larry Lade are in the lead!

# of quiz photos correct
Larry Lade- 1
tim.birdboy- 1
corey h- 1
birderbf-2
prairemerlin-3
grosbeaksp- 1

next one soon!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back