• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida Shorebirds (1 Viewer)

davemangham

I've just returned from a vacation in SW Florida, and for the first time have started to photograph some of the shorebirds.

I'm finding the i.d. of some of these quite confusing, so I'm turning to the experts (all of you out there) in my confusion to attempt to get positive i.d's.

The attached photo was taken on Ft. Myers Beach (Lee County, Florida) in Dec 2007.

My immediate thought is Willet (C. semipalmatus), but I would welcome any correction or comments.

This may well be the first of several requests for help, so thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Dave

Attachments

• WilletA4-0150.jpg
    WilletA4-0150.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 182
I would even go as far to say that this looks like it could be a first-winter 'Western' Willet. The long tapered bill, apparently whitish breast, and overall paleness. Aged by the contrast between new and old feathers in the coverts and scapulars.

Thanks all...

...Willet it is!

A question for 'Goshawk' though. What are the chances of getting a 'Western' in SW Florida?

Dave

Per Sibley, "Western [Willet] breeds inland and migrates to both coasts, but rare north of New Jersey."

So definite possibility, but in all honesty I, personally, am in no position (from this photo anyway) to compare non-breeding Eastern and Western.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back