• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Klutz - Norther Sparrowhawk ?? (1 Viewer)

anonymous_guy

Guy R.H. Miller
Klutz - Northern/Eurasian Sparrowhawk ??

Best I could do considering the light, foliage & my small lens (80-200mm)
Was chasing a much smaller bird through the tree canopy (didn't catch it !!)
If it is they are fairly scarce in Hong Kong & should only be a winter visitor.

Attachments

• DSC_8850.JPG
    DSC_8850.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 132
I think not, the barring / stripes on the throat looks wrong to me. But I don´t have experience with A. nisus in the far east or with possible alternatives in Hongkong, so you´ll have to wait for another vote.

Yep, see what you mean.
Alsp tail looks & neck markings more likely to be Goshawk - but best wait for the experts.

Is also fairly scarce in HK & according to book (Viney, Philpipps printed in 1994) only several pairs recorded in HK

Its not A.nisus and it looks very like that other Accipiter that was posted a few weeks back. Hang on.. I'll go and find that one

Edit Ah no - That was a Brown Goshawk

Last edited:
Have just had somebody come back to me from HKBWS & says it is a Besra (Accipiter virgatus) - quote

"In structure, it has a bigger head and shorter body and tail in proportion. This is a small accipiter that rules out either Northern Sparrowhawk or Crested Goshawk.

Breast has thick brown patch and belly has thick bars. So, this is a Besra. Japanese Sparrowhawk is very similar but paler colour on breast and thinner bars on belly. Also, the Japanese Sparrowhawk is less likely to occur in Hong Kong in July but during the autumn passage time (i.e. October and November)."

Hi,
My suggestion is Japanese Sparrowhawk (A. gularis). I have no idea if the species occurs at this time in your area though.
Cheers!
Sumit

anonymous_guy said:
Have just had somebody come back to me from HKBWS & says it is a Besra (Accipiter virgatus) - quote

"In structure, it has a bigger head and shorter body and tail in proportion. This is a small accipiter that rules out either Northern Sparrowhawk or Crested Goshawk.

Breast has thick brown patch and belly has thick bars. So, this is a Besra. Japanese Sparrowhawk is very similar but paler colour on breast and thinner bars on belly. Also, the Japanese Sparrowhawk is less likely to occur in Hong Kong in July but during the autumn passage time (i.e. October and November)."
Just saw this posting. I am going by the characteristic yellow iris and the short tail to choose between gularis and virgatus. My 2 cents worth!
Cheers!
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back