• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park 10/12/02 (1 Viewer)

IanF

I decided to clear out the feeding station at the Park first thing this morning. Despite the efforts of the wardens, it was still too overgrown making viewing difficult. I took along a pruning saw and spent around 30 minutes clearing up and putting out some nuts and seeds.

Even whilst still working the Blue Tits, Robins and Greenfinches were landing on the tables just a few feet away from me. After finishing up I stood at one of the viewing points waiting to see what else turned up. I was hoping for some Tree Sparrows and sure enough one turned up, along with a male Great Spotted Woodpecker which I had never seen on the feeders before. It got stuck into the peanuts, carrying them off one at a time to a nearby tree to eat it and then returning several times over the next half hour to do the same again. Being so dull this morning it was no good for photos, not that I had my camera with me in any case, so I returned at lunchtime. It was still a bit dull, but it was bright enough for a couple of shots. This time a female Great Spotted Woodpecker turned up and nicely posed whilst I clicked away.

The Tree Sparrow was about again, but they are a bit shy round here and wouldn't pose for a photo.

Here is a photo of the Woodpecker and there's another in the Gallery, I couldn't decide which one was the better.

I must say I am rather chuffed as I have been trying to get a reasonable shot of one for a while. Even yesterday I made a 40 mile round trip without success and today I find them right on my own doorstep. Just need the male and the tree Sparrow now

:bounce:

Attachments

• g s woodpecker 101202es_filteredo.jpg
    g s woodpecker 101202es_filteredo.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back