• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Billed Gull with Broken Wing (1 Viewer)

Pigeonpal

Hi there,

I'm a new member to your forum. I'm from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada and today I have found a ring billed gull with a broken wing. I'm fairly familiar with birds in general and I've placed this guy in a pet carrier. At first I offered him water which he drank lots of, then I gave him a can of tuna to eat. The bird is nearly an adult, perhaps 2 years old, seems relatively healthy other than it's obviously broken wing.

I was hoping that one of you may be able to provide the name of a rehabber in my area. I've already contacted the TWC (Toronto Wildlife Centre) but they closed at 7pm EST. I leave a message but I was hoping to find someone closer to help this bird. The wing needs to be fixed and set.

Any help would be appreciated,

Brad

Hi there PigeonPal and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Here are a few to get you started. Good luck and keep us posted okay?

Canada, Ontario..... 613-354-0264

Sue Meech, Napanee Humane Society [email protected] Specialty: raccoons and skunks, Registered Nurse Canada, Ontario (Kingston)..... 613-547-2197

Sharon David, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator [email protected] Wildlife Species: songbirds, waterfowl Canada, Ontario, (Nanticoke)..... 905-776-5510

Debbie Dumelie Beacon (director), Beacon of Light Animal Rescue [email protected] Wildlife Species: Small mammals, raccoons, birds Canada, Ontario (Napanee)..... 613-354-0264

Sue Meech, Napanee Humane Society [email protected] Wildlife Species: raccoons Canada, Ontario (Ottawa)..... 613-828-2849

Kathy Nihei, Wild Bird Care Centre Specialty: database of admission statistics Canada, Ontario (Ottawa area)

Heather Morlan [email protected]
Canada, Ontario (Rockwood).... 519-856-4510

Judi Drake (President), S.O.A.R. (Songbirds Only Avian Rehabilitation) [email protected] Wildlife Species: songbirds Canada, Ontario (Sarnia)..... 519-344-3229

Joan Biggs, For the Birds Rehabilitation Services [email protected] Wildlife Species: songbirds Canada, Ontario, Southern region, Durham Region (Claremont)..... 905-649-2899 Ext. 1

Carolynn Parke (director/rehabilitator), Wingspread, Songbird Recovery Centre for FLAP Wildlife Species: all birds Specialties/Knowledge: trauma care Canada, Ontario, Southern region, Haldimand County (Nanticoke)..... 905-776-5510

Debbie Dumelie-Beacon (founder), Beacon of Light Wildlife Rescue [email protected] Wildlife Species: small mammals, birds, ungulat

Thank you so much, KCFoggin and Davedorsey!!!:)

If you can believe it, out of that huge list, only one is close by to me, but tha is all I need anyway.

Thank you again for your swift responses:)

Hi Everyone,

Well, I called the one person who is in my area, Carolyn Parke but she wasn't available but I contacted the Toronto Wildlife Centre (TWS) and they returned my call. It was a little further than I wanted to go but I did drop the gull off to them. Hopefully they will be able to repair the wing and if so, they will call me. Also if it's repairable they would want me to pick it up for release when it's ready in the area that it was found in, which is fine with me:)

Thanks again for your help:)

Hi There,

I just wanted to update those that replied and helped me a little while ago with the ring billed gull w/broken wing.

I called the TWC on Wed, of this past week and left a message. They finally got back to me on Friday with the details.

They said that the wing was in pretty bad shape, that it had already started to calcify over and heal incorrectly. They said that they did wrap the wing in hopes that it wasn't too late but after a week, they said there was no improvement whatsoever and the wing had become even stiffer. They said this bird would never be able to fly again and it was euthanized.

Sad outcome, I was hoping for a more positive ending. I guess I found it too late, it might have been out in that parking lot for a number of days scavanging what scraps it could to stay alive but in the meantime, it's wing was healing in an abnormal position.

Thanks everyone,

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back