• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Osprey Hide in the making (1 Viewer)

speyghillie

Hi All,
I had posted some details of a Osprey hide that i am digging out at a Lochan i have then saw this section on the forum.
I live in Aviemore and last summer i watched Ospreys diving at my little Loch and taking fish almost every morning, but i could not really get close enough to get good pictures, so 26 tonnes later i have a hide almost complete....... boy that Ospreys better come back, i am sure they will.
As soon as this project is finished i will be building a veiwing hide further back from the Loch so as not to disturb the birds when they are feeding, i watched all summer so know their habits.
The Osprey only visit early morning as the little Lochan (i have three Lochs in the area) is next to a kids play park so its to busy during the day.
I will post follow ups if anybody is interested in following my Osprey adventure.
Thanks Gordon.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 166
Good luck with that Gordon.

Whenever I tell non birders about Angus Ospreys they react like they almost dont believe me, as if Ospreys only visit Garten or Loch of the Lowes!

Good luck with that Gordon.

Whenever I tell non birders about Angus Ospreys they react like they almost dont believe me, as if Ospreys only visit Garten or Loch of the Lowes!

They built a nesting platform in a tree at Lochwinnoch in the hope of attracting them to nest. They'd been visiting a nearby loch and had been seen over Lochwinnoch, but nothing came of it. I think they only had the platform up for one year.

Hi All,
Just a quick update on the Osprey hide and Otters, got the roof framed and hope to have it sheated and finished this week.
The otters have been in to the Lochan every night for the past 8 nights after not showing for a while.
Thanks Gordon.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 101
thats a fair amount of work you have been putting in there,looking forward to your reports

Last edited:
Osprey hide in the making

Hi All,
Almost finished the hide,just to fit a bench seat inside and add the camo netting on the front, i recon its going to be really good.
Had a couple of Profesional Photographers give it the thumps up, will just have to wait and see when the Ospreys arrive back, see what they think of it.
Thanks Gordon.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 111
  • 006 compressed.jpg
    006 compressed.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 108
looks like you have made a superb job there gordon.
hope your hard work gets rewarded with the return of the ospreys.

Hi Ian,
Got some new camo netting for the front, just got to fit it this week, fix the steps, fit the bench seat inside and we are done.
I watched the Ospreys all last summer, from a distance in a pop up hide so i am sure this one will be spot on, i am sure i will get some great shots and have already let the hide out for a few days to help with the cost of building it.
Thanks Gordon.

Osprey hide finished

Hi All,
well the hide has been finished for a little while now, so i decided to grab my brothers little camera and little 200mm lens, got some much better pictures, just got to upload them later.
I had an Osprey fly right over the hide, one ft away...... missed it. :C

Thanks All.
Gordon.

Attachments

• DSC03456.JPG
    DSC03456.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03459.JPG
    DSC03459.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 113
Ospreys this morning

Hope to do some filming this week, but got a couple more stills.

LOOKING FOR BREAKFAST.

Thanks Gordon.

Attachments

• 7113889207_6a0205a991_m.jpg picture 1.jpg
    7113889207_6a0205a991_m.jpg picture 1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 7115612469_8b60a3a6a7_m.jpg picture 2.jpg
    7115612469_8b60a3a6a7_m.jpg picture 2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back