• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species list for Sudan (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

In 2011 South Sudan split from Sudan, forming a new country. The African Bird Club and Avibase have both published lists for the two new countries. They did a good job (especially as it was done by people not based in sudan) of disentangling the two new lists from the old one, which was pretty much based on the list published by Nikolaus in 1987.
I have been trying to work out what should be included in the new Sudan list, so I have been trying to compare the published lists (mainly Nikolaus, ABC and Avibase, plus a few other sources including my own sightings) to decide what it should include. I have found that there are 669 potential species (if everything is included, such as records from the border that may relate to south Sudan). Of these, 556 are universally acceptable (i.e by Nikolaus, ABC and Avibase), while another 113 need further discussion. I have included a little more discussion of this on my blog (see link below). I have attached my Excel file.
I would welcome any help from anyone who can shed any light on whether any of these 113 species should or should not be included on the ABC list. I am particularly interested in locating any publications that discuss records, or of any unpublished data that would clarify any of this. I would also be interested in getting access to the original data of Nikolaus to know exactly where his sightings were made (especially those close to borders), but I have been unable to contact him.
Any help appreciated.

Tom

Attachments

• Species list Sudan (North) xls.xls
    149.5 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back