• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding Lake Neusiedl (Austria - Hungary) in early April? (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
Hi all,
we are considering (but haven't decided yet) a few days birding in the Lake Neusiedl area over the Easter school holidays, roughly April 3-8. We are aware that this is not the best time to visit, but that's when we can go.

I have had a look online and downloaded the bird list from the Lake Neusiedl Park website, so I think we have a rough idea of what may be there, but in my experience nothing is best than the advice of local birders.

Is there anyone who could tell me if it is worth taking the trip at all and/or if any of the species listed below are likely to be seen in early April in the area? Are they easy to find or is it best to hire a guide? We will have our own car. We have an 8-year old daughter so we can't do "extreme" birding, but anything else, including walking a few km. is fine.

- Swans and Geese
- Ruddy Shelduck
- White-tailed and Eastern Imperial Eagle
- Long-legged Buzzard
- Saker
- Crakes
- Great bustard
- Terek sandpiper and phalaropes
- Marsh terns
- short-eared owl
- Syrian woodpecker
- bluethroat
- various wetland warblers plus barred warbler (not sure if it's too early)
- lesser whitethroat
- bearded reedling

Thanks a lot for your help!

I haven't been to Neusiedl in a few years and not in April, so I can't help on that front.

-Swans & Geese: Don't know.
-Ruddy Shelduck: Introduced.
-WT Eagle: There are a few around, just keep an eye out. Last time I was there I saw at this spot on the Hungarian side (https://goo.gl/maps/3JRp8).
-Imperial Eagle: Scarce, but you may be lucky.
-LL Buzzard: Again, scarce, but keep checking any buzzards.
-Saker: Scarce.
-Great Bustard: Try the Tadten Plain/Hansag loop (https://goo.gl/maps/SCmZG).
-Terek Sandpiper: Very rare.
-Syrian Woodpecker: Not uncommon, just need to check every woodpecker.
-Bearded Tit: Listen for them at any large reedbed area.
-Moustached Warbler: First birds singing near Illmitz today.

Ornitho.at is a good resource for recent bird sightings. For Neusiedl go to "Observations" -> Burgenland and then "ND".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back