• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vacation to Cali (1 Viewer)

Vacation to Cali!

Hey all,
I will be going on a vacation to Southern California on Wednesday, and will be staying for about two months. Could you guys help me out with knowing what to expect (I.e.what birds are common/endemic to the area)?
See ya
AS :eat::t:

Trip report

I attach our trip report that covers what we saw in San Diego area, Salton Sea and various other sites in California
Hope of some use

Attachments

• California.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
Morning people of BF!
Today I really slept in, despite the excitement :-O
Before breakfast:
Hooded Siskin
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Raven
Dunnock

Several others that haven't been IDed yet.

Morning people of BF!
Today I really slept in, despite the excitement :-O
Before breakfast:
Hooded Siskin
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Raven
Dunnock

Several others that haven't been IDed yet.

Hooded Siskin is restricted to South America. Dunnock is an European species and Ruby-throated Hummingbird is only found in Eastern North America.
Wikipedia certainly doesn't replace a good field guide.....

André

Later...
Hairy Woodpecker
Gray Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
All lifers so far!

Gray Jay is only found in the far north of the state. If you're in SoCal and you saw a jay, more likely it was a Western Scrub-jay. But if the gray color was right, it was probably a mockingbird.

And while Hairy Woodpecker is certainly possible, Nuttall's Woodpecker is far more likely.

The corvids are both pretty likely in CA.

So let me echo Andre. You need to get a field guide. You can find one in any book store. I personally like the National Geographic guide.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back