• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budapest 26th-30th July 2016 (1 Viewer)

KenM

Arrived Tuesday 11.40am, circa 900 miles (300 miles more than Shetland), in 2 hours and 10 min., flight courtesy of Ryanair via Stanstead at £125 return. A five day break to catch up with some sun, architectural splendour...and those ''flying'' things ;)

Having had an early start (5am) and finding temperatures in the low 30's it was very much a case of hunting the shade in the ''Varosliget'' which is Budapest's main park (once a Royal hunting forest drained in the 18th/19th century), lying adjacent to ''Hero's Square'' 3km. N.East of Deak ferenc ter (mainline metro station).

Apart from Hooded Crow, Wood and Feral Pigeons it was pretty much deserted, although the distant ''yaffle'' of a Green Woodpecker was perhaps a distant promise...of things to come. An early dinner and retirement was agreed, with a ''dawn'' start on the morrow.

Wednesday 27th July and (a not so early) 8am start at the ''Varosliget''...must have been the Bull's Blood from the night before! It was here that I had a ''very contentious'' sighting,
whilst sitting on a park bench talking to another British couple (worked in the same industry as moi, same generation, mildly interested in birds (just like me :-O), and both sharing the same namesake :eek!:

As we were exchanging chit chat, from behind his bench on the newly mown sward...a Dendrocopos flew up into a dense tree, circa perhaps 20m away, initially out of view because of the slight gradient, looked a bit odd!...bigger, and sporting a largish (non divided) white area to it's back! Several minutes later it flew out of ''said tree'' and disappeared into a cluster of trees ne'er to be seen again, (subsequent enquiries with a local birder suggested that White-backed Woodpecker would definitely not occur at site, mmm...no comment!

Later in the day 4.20pm barely 50m from ''the sighting'' I perchanced to encounter a group of Great Tits that had decided to ''cool off'' using a trio of ground level bird baths....I must say I was ''jaw-dropped'' at the experience. Seven species of birds seen to partake in the ''session'' albeit not all at once, and being continually disturbed by the human footfall on the path which ran adjacent, with me c10m away camera at the ready, I think for posture and lighting the Wood Warbler gets the gold, with the hat-trick of Flycatchers (2 species) getting the Silver. :eek!:

To be Continued.....

Attachments

• P1330704.jpeg   Buda.Flys 2..jpg
    P1330704.jpeg Buda.Flys 2..jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 96
  • P1330713.jpeg  Bud.Wood Warbler 1..jpeg
    P1330713.jpeg Bud.Wood Warbler 1..jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 105
  • P1330714.jpeg     Bud.Wood Warbler 6..jpg
    P1330714.jpeg Bud.Wood Warbler 6..jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P1330734.jpeg    Buda.Spot Fly.1.jpg
    P1330734.jpeg Buda.Spot Fly.1.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 90
  • P1330719.jpeg   Buda.Grt.Spot.Fly..jpg
    P1330719.jpeg Buda.Grt.Spot.Fly..jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 89
Thursday 28th July dawned with blanket grey and heavy rain, which persisted (as forecast) into the afternoon with only occasional remission. This kinda put the brakes on any meaningful excursion to the Buda hills, thus I decided to go back to the Varosliget (park), on the basis that, it should be bereft of footfall considering the on-going precipitation.

A five minute walk to Deak Ferenc ter (metro), where I hopped on a 105 bus (circa every 5 mins!) for the 3km ride to Hero's Square. Upon entering the almost deserted park, I was drawn to a loose group of birds in the immediate trees. Collared Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Wood Warbler, Nuthatch, Great Tit, Blackbird, Magpie, Jay and Chaffinch, a reasonable welcome in the damp conditions.

Heading back to the bench where I had seen the ''White-Backed''
woodpecker the day before, I sat down (not before wiping the seat :eek!:) where I observed two Hooded Crows perched atop yonder Aspen, when a female Sprawk broke cover from an adjoining tree before heading into a soar pattern, appearing and disappearing within the narrow ''sky-scape'' framed by the dense canopy.

Some 10 mins. later, the Corvids announced the arrival of Accipter gentilis just creasing the tree tops, whilst executing the slow butterfly wing display, unfortunately it's outgoing trajectory took it above, rather than beneath...it could have made a nice shot. :-C
Now late afternoon, sky still dark with just intermittent light rain I decided to leave, on the way out of the park I scanned a line of Lombardy Poplars which appeared to be alive with small flitting/flycatching silhouetted birds.

Nothing of any real consequence....but then amongst the to-ing and fro-ing I espied a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, not a bad haul considering the conditions, Friday's forecast (29th) was c30 degrees...that's when I'll head to the hills!

To be continued....

Attachments

• P1330767.jpeg  Collared 1..jpeg
    P1330767.jpeg Collared 1..jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 84
  • P1330777.jpeg    Buda.Red 1..jpg
    P1330777.jpeg Buda.Red 1..jpg
    210 KB · Views: 48
  • P1330786.jpeg  Buda. LSW..jpeg
    P1330786.jpeg Buda. LSW..jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P1330725.jpeg    Buda. Grt.Spot.1..jpg
    P1330725.jpeg Buda. Grt.Spot.1..jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Not a bad return for a rainy day Ken and it's great to see 'proper' squirrels isn't it! Bring on the hills!

Chris

Not a bad return for a rainy day Ken and it's great to see 'proper' squirrels isn't it! Bring on the hills!
Chris

Your wish is my command Chris. ;)

Friday 29th July, I spun out of the downtown Hotel revolving doors at 6.45 am, a 5min. walk to DFT (metro)...and was it warm :eek!:, hunting shade at all times. I can't fault the Bus/Tram/Metro/Train system for cleanliness (eating food on the system is not allowed) or punctuality, average wait time be it bus/metro, for stops or stations appeared to be c5mins! Taking the red line to Szell Kalman ter, then bus no.21 to the terminus Normafa. On the day with all connections seamless....from the banks of the Danube (Budapest) to the hill top (500m)....45mins!

Walking along the ridge in a Northerly direction at a slow amble, being lit from the S.East the viewing was superb, unfortunately the lack of ''players'' at the onset was notable. As the sun climbed higher into the sky the ''flutterbys'' became more numerous....Silver-washed Fritillary, various Whites, Speckled Wood, some that were too fast for me, and a single Scarce Swallowtail livened things up somewhat, as did the (heard only) plaintive mewing of Pernis apivorus (Honey Buzzard).

At lunch time my wife joined me for a coffee and strudel, before heading North along the path to the chairlift, for a spectacular scenic view on the descent, then the bus to Margaret Island for a mooch round before dinner.
With Saturday 30th being our last (almost) full day...It would be an early start for my last ''assault'' on this impressive deciduous ridge, tomorrow I vowed I will ''squeeze it...till the pips fly'', I was not proven to be disappointed. :eek!:

To be continued.....

Attachments

• P1330828.jpeg  SWF 2..jpg
    P1330828.jpeg SWF 2..jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 33
  • P1330819.jpeg  Scarce Swallowtail.jpg
    P1330819.jpeg Scarce Swallowtail.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 40
  • P1340085.jpeg  Budapest street art for comp..jpeg
    P1340085.jpeg Budapest street art for comp..jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P1340207.jpeg  Chairlift 2. for comp..jpeg
    P1340207.jpeg Chairlift 2. for comp..jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 31
  • P1340209.jpeg   Chairlift 1. for comp..jpeg
    P1340209.jpeg Chairlift 1. for comp..jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 29
Saturday 30th July, I arrived on station (Buda Hills) at 7.10 am for the ''Last Hurrah!''. Picking my way along the same trail as the day before, my first encounter was a ''caged'' Black Redstart soon to be followed by an ''I know not what?'' Essentially, two large brown butterflies with pale contrasting bar to wings, on a mature vertical tree trunk. It was more what they were doing that kept my focus, a courtship display that one might have attributed to a Bird-of-Paradise...rather than that of a winged invertebrate! In perpendicular alignment ''nose to nose'' with spread wings interspersed and occasional fluttering by the fem?...with the opposing male? constantly bowing. It had to be seen to be believed, certainly destroyed any notion that I might have entertained, regarding ''limited'' interaction between invertebrates. :eek!: I took a film clip...which I will endeavour to link to this thread, I have to assume that ''the display'' is well known for this species? (I believe it to be Great Banded Grayling)...although I'm still looking for confirmation.

Moving on...I finally caught a glimpse of a Middle Spotted Woodpecker that streaked across through the trees and promptly disappeared before I could even raise the camera. With strong dappled light and heavy dark shadows it was not going to be easy. But then I remembered a tip that an ''Old Belgian Birder'' once gave me, regarding attempting to locate woodland birds. Quite simply find a branch/trunk that has good resonance, take out the largest coin in one's pocket, and attempt to assimilate the ''irregular'' pecks of a woodpecker/Nuthatch. Several minutes had passed to no avail, then two Nuthatches arrived calling excitedly, perhaps 2m. above my head on the ''recipient'' tree. They were soon followed by a Wood Warbler, then a Great Spotted higher up in the tree and what looked like? my original Middle Spotted streaking through at an angle, and landing on the starboard side of a 20m trunk. However before I could locate it, simultaneously I noted several movements, lower down on the port side of said tree. A raising of the Bins. produced two well known Anglo-Saxon words, followed by the fastest camera draw, and shutter release that I could muster. Whilst cursing the ''mostly'' silhouetted images that I was seeing through my viewfinder, now with the eventual two birds moving into marginally better light, although not perfect I was able to procure better images than before...I'm over the moon!

To get Coccothraustes coccothraustes ''coincidentally'' It must be said, during a ''coin trunk tapping'' exercise, quite frankly was amazing,
Hawfinch...what a bird! After which the Middle Spot. once the objective...now played 2nd fiddle! High on endorphs. I decided to quit whilst ahead, along the trail I came to a juxtaposition of widely girthed trees, which I remembered from my visit the previous year, as I'd left some unfinished business, with some unresolved ''Owl'' type calls that I could not put a face to. Incredibly! as I stopped and looked up, I heard the same hooting pitch several times, but once again I could not find the protagonist! Definitely not Tawny Owl, as I get them roosting in the garden most of the year, and am au fait with their range of hoots and squeals. Having listened to xeno canto, I find that what I heard, was not too far removed from Ural Owl although with a range of variability not unlike Tawny, I would need to observe the ''protagonist''. Perhaps better luck next time. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/hyux0S-9lC4

Attachments

• P1340132.jpeg  Buda Black Redstart.jpg
    P1340132.jpeg Buda Black Redstart.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 55
  • P1340093.jpeg   Great Banded Grayling.jpg
    P1340093.jpeg Great Banded Grayling.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 56
  • P1340084.jpg
    P1340084.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 70
  • P1340039.jpeg     Bud.Hwfnch.2..jpg
    P1340039.jpeg Bud.Hwfnch.2..jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 75
  • P1340021.jpeg  Bud.Hwfnch.10..jpg
    P1340021.jpeg Bud.Hwfnch.10..jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Great stuff Ken! Well done with the Hawfinches - great birds aren't they, not uncommon here! I like the coin tip too, will definitely be trying that out in my local forest!
How did you find Budapest in general? It is a city that has long been in my thoughts for a visit!
Thanks for a great report!

Chris

Thanks Chris and Stuart!

In answer to your question Chris, the architecture imo is "magnifique" to the point of declaring that Paris is the Budapest of the West!

The transport system is overwhelmingly clean and efficient, with the cost of snacks and meals being extremely competitive.

I found the people to be most helpful, most youngsters speaking English with varying degrees of excellence, to the point of embarrassment for my total lack of "Magyar".

I never got out of the Budapest "district" this time as I had in previous visits, thus never laid eyes on Rollers, Shrikes, Bee Eaters, Orioles, Bustards, and Red foots etc.

Now that I'm "two peckers short of a full set" ;)....I'll make every effort to return and recommend.

Cheers

In answer to your question Chris, the architecture imo is "magnifique" to the point of declaring that Paris is the Budapest of the West!

The transport system is overwhelmingly clean and efficient, with the cost of snacks and meals being extremely competitive.

I found the people to be most helpful, most youngsters speaking English with varying degrees of excellence, to the point of embarrassment for my total lack of "Magyar".

I never got out of the Budapest "district" this time as I had in previous visits, thus never laid eyes on Rollers, Shrikes, Bee Eaters, Orioles, Bustards, and Red foots etc.

Now that I'm "two peckers short of a full set" ;)....I'll make every effort to return and recommend.

Cheers

Thanks Ken, sounds good!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back